• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Seal too thick, door VERY hard to close.

John Keyburn

Local time
11:22 AM
Reaction score
Today I replaced the cloth covered door seals that circle around the door jamb seam.

Question: The door is very hard to close now, have to slam it into next Tuesday to get the door to latch. Does anyone else also have problems with the new stuff? Seems like the weather stripping at the hinge side is a major part of the problem.

The bottom picture shows a comparison of the new vs old rubber in cross-section. The new rubber(top in lower photo) looks 50% heavier.

Here’s the trim

1373207-ed903278519ebf79aa40d3df91e5c5f3.jpg

Below is a cross section of the new(top) and the old(bottom). The foam rubber if the new stuff looks 50% thicker in cross section.

1373208-2ee0c74197c3732d6be9868027dd63d1.jpg

A common problem with the early "B"s. Best solution is to replace the windlace with a thinner product. Did you check with Joe Suchy?
Mike

A common problem with the early "B"s. Best solution is to replace the windlace with a thinner product. Did you check with Joe Suchy?
Mike
Thats who I bought it from. I have an email out to him, hopefully he has the thinner stuff and would swap it for me.

I was very concerned about this issue. As mine is a racecar and the entire inside metal structure has been removed. We loooked at all the gaps without the seal installed. Bending the flange inward at the tight areas helps. Mine even had an area that was very tight at the upper rear area of the passenger door. This area was trimmed and rewelded before paint. The doors shut hard at first. But now work very well. My bet is there is only one manufacturer of this material regardless who it comes from.
Doug

I was very concerned about this issue. As mine is a racecar and the entire inside metal structure has been removed. We loooked at all the gaps without the seal installed. Bending the flange inward at the tight areas helps. Mine even had an area that was very tight at the upper rear area of the passenger door. This area was trimmed and rewelded before paint. The doors shut hard at first. But now work very well. My bet is there is only one manufacturer of this material regardless who it comes from.
Doug
My Dad mentioned bending the pinch flange in a little too, I may give that a go.

We said to ourselves after seeing the difference in rubber wall thickness, "Its too bad that this is the one time that new China made parts are heavier duty than the original"

Assuming the rubber is extruded/made in china... Go Figure.

Apparently the difference between brands of seals may be the softness of the rubber, that could be true.

Anyway if I hear back from Joe Suchy or do get a better fit by modifying the flange I'll report bask.

My Dad mentioned bending the pinch flange in a little too, I may give that a go.

We said to ourselves after seeing the difference in rubber wall thickness, "Its too bad that this is the one time that new China made parts are heavier duty than the original"

Assuming the rubber is extruded/made in china... Go Figure.

Apparently the difference between brands of seals may be the softness of the rubber, that could be true.

Anyway if I hear back from Joe Suchy or do get a better fit by modifying the flange I'll report bask.
Just went through this, ended up putting in 89 pickup door seal works perfect.

After market junk!!!!! So, we all have found out this to be true. Was told by one supplier just be glad you got something that looks like it. What kind of answer is that.

After market junk!!!!! So, we all have found out this to be true. Was told by one supplier just be glad you got something that looks like it. What kind of answer is that.
That is one supplier i would scratch off my list.

Today I replaced the cloth covered door seals that circle around the door jamb seam.

Question: The door is very hard to close now, have to slam it into next Tuesday to get the door to latch. Does anyone else also have problems with the new stuff? Seems like the weather stripping at the hinge side is a major part of the problem.

The bottom picture shows a comparison of the new vs old rubber in cross-section. The new rubber(top in lower photo) looks 50% heavier.

Here’s the trim

View attachment 1445088

Below is a cross section of the new(top) and the old(bottom). The foam rubber if the new stuff looks 50% thicker in cross section.

View attachment 1445089

What brand did you get?

1962 Polara door channel seal help/question

KK, I bought it from joe Suchy. It was wrapped in 1 continuous length and packed in plastic-wrap, with a hand made price / label on it, no brand name visible.

I've been hearing it on here for quite some time about them being too heavy. Then some don't have any problems like in the link I posted. Looked like Metro was a favorite. My original ones were good enough so I have no experience with them.

Joe will make it right if you weren't satisfied.

Bending the pinch weld helps a lot. After I replaced mine i could barely slam the door shut. Parking the car outside in the sun will also help but mostly it just takes time. My doors shut easy now, took a couple of months.

Do a search on this...tons of posts including mine. I returned the seal for my '63 putting the old back in. Was pissed as the driver's door latch was toasted trying to shut the doors. Was informed there's only one place mfg them...the diameter wasn't even close. Someone mentioned obtaining modern seals w/o the lace and might go that route - the lace trim color isn't a deal breaker with me.

Auto Transport Service
Back