• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Door Window Regulator Questions

westie47

Local time
3:56 PM
Reaction score
Since I had to strip the doors completely for painting, I am cleaning up/restoring everything.
D3FC95FC-7758-4C07-A87F-01D8C6F13BEF.jpeg

I inadvertently cranked the regulator too far and it came out of the gear rather quickly. I thought I broke my finger!!! Anyway I’m trying to fix it but can’t seem to get the coil spring tight enough. Looking for any tips on installing it.
7F16ECC7-3254-4BA1-A869-96DA3F36F0C4.jpeg

You can see that it’s too loose.
I also can’t figure out how to remove the old rollers off the regulator.
AD00D559-3D73-4402-B264-90B54EDA3BA6.jpeg

Thanks!

Drill out the shouldered section of the old swaged as large as possible without enlarging the mounting hole in the arm. The old retainer should drive out with a drift punch and the new part will need to be swaged back into the arm. Measure the OD of the new retainer to choose the correct drill size. Your center punch location will need to be precise here!
Mike

Drill out the shouldered section of the old swaged as large as possible without enlarging the mounting hole in the arm. The old retainer should drive out with a drift punch and the new part will need to be swaged back into the arm. Measure the OD of the new retainer to choose the correct drill size. Your center punch location will need to be precise here!
Mike
The ‘shouldered’ section is the back side?

Since I had to strip the doors completely for painting, I am cleaning up/restoring everything.
View attachment 1174157
I inadvertently cranked the regulator too far and it came out of the gear rather quickly. I thought I broke my finger!!! Anyway I’m trying to fix it but can’t seem to get the coil spring tight enough. Looking for any tips on installing it.
View attachment 1174158
You can see that it’s too loose.
I also can’t figure out how to remove the old rollers off the regulator.
View attachment 1174159
Thanks!
You drop the spring onto the center pin as you have it.
Then the opposite end you clamp a pair of vise grips on the end then wind away.
Slip it onto the retain post and your done.
Simular to setting a critter trap , mind those fingers :D

You drop the spring onto the center pin as you have it.
Then the opposite end you clamp a pair of vise grips on the end then wind away.
Slip it onto the retain post and your done.
Simular to setting a critter trap , mind those fingers :D
That’s why God gave us ten of them right?

Auto Transport Service
Back