• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

downside of a 26" radiator on a 22 support?

I'd be glad to hook some guys up.

I had cooling issues with the 22" that came with my car, but it wasn't the right one to begin with. Come to find out, it belonged on a small block car from '65, so it had to go.
I tried to locate a correct 22" for the big block/hemi cars, but of course, those are rare as hens' teeth since all the resto crowd gobbles them up and pays high dollar for them.
On a serious budget here, the Glen Ray stuff was out of the question, too.
I was scouring the web one night for a deal and ran across a 26" Spectra Premium 3-core that was said to have "damaged packaging but excellent contents"....
for $43!!
I figured what the hell, it's all brass, I'll gamble on it and bought it.

That's where the cobbling began.:rolleyes:

As others have said, I did not enlarge the radiator support opening; I figured I had a 3-core and that was already better than the factory 22" one anyways, so surely I could get it to work even if some of it wasn't getting direct airflow.
I did not use the factory drivers' side bolt holes, but rather drilled new ones for the both sides (this thing is a driver and the radiator support isn't perfect to begin with); I had to do so to get the radiator more centered both vertically and horizontally on the fan for the next cobbling, which was the generic Mopar 26" shroud I found for $15 new!!
Still haven't figured out the application on that, but I think it's for a c-body.
Anyways, it also had to be modified a tad to fit, but in the end, I got a lot better cooling for chump change basically.
It doesn't seem to matter about not opening up the hole in the support and the car runs 180 degrees when it's hot outside, 170-175 otherwise.

The things we do on budgets...

Edit: This is the radiator. Come to find out, it fits c-bodies too:
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/SGT-CU332/
:wtf:
What the heck, it works....

Last edited:
IMG_20160701_143713.jpg

I cut the heads off the bolts to try and maximize clearance. Then tigged them in the holes.
IMG_20160701_150201.jpg

The pass. side mated up very nice!
IMG_20160701_150320.jpg

The drivers side. The bolt head attaching the bracket to the car rests on the radiator flange. I have room so I will most likely put a .150 spacer in there so the radiator will sit square in the car. Hate to risk grinding clearance on the flange and risk voiding the warranty!
IMG_20160701_150153.jpg

Mocked up the fan and it's centered dead nuts! How's it look Derwud?

Anyone know what temp the fan clutch start engaging?

I suppose I could of drilled out the treads on the radiator support and welded in some more studs and put nuts on the front. but I think I have enough clearance to put in the spacers so I'll go that route first.

Looks great! So how far does the fan stick into the shroud? I looked at my fan it is a 216 not a 215. So it's the deeper fan. Bonus.

I didn't really measure that but I'd guess 1-1.5 in. The fan is 2.5 deep (pitch of blades). I will check and let you know when I get a chance.

Sounds good.
My fan came with a clutch. It feels good, how do you know if its junk?

If you give it a spin and it doesn't stop in less than 1 revolution, or if it feels gritty when you rotate.

I stuck with Griffin because of their reputation & warranty. Also top tank looks closer to OEM.

Last edited:
Gpuller looks like the fan is in the shroud about 1.25-1.375. Right at half of the fan blade.

Cleaned up my used clutch, painted the fan and installed it last night. Drove to work today. Ran noticeably warmer, it was only 70 degrees out.
It was up to 200+deg after a short stop in town. Rarely gets 200 unless its 100 deg.
Got work and checked the fan, was still free spinning. I would think it should have been still locked up.
I did some looking and Hayden says the thermal clutches engage at 170 deg.
Ordered a 2765, should be here this afternoon. If that doesn't work I'm going back to my flex fan. If it aint broke don't fix it???

Parts store didn't have a Hayden but had one in a different line. Import Direct, was a little leery. Got the clutch and look whats cast right into the face.
I got some 5/16 studs. That should make installation easier.

20160713_152558.jpg 20160713_152607.jpg 20160713_152613.jpg 20160713_152643.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back