• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drag radials

Your response makes no sense......I want to get a better drag radial because i'm getting big power with my new engine but I want something that's good in the rain....LOL......I thought about trying to help and then realized it's pointless
Pretty harsh. Makes no sense?
I'll try one more time:
I had Nitto 555R drag radials on my 89 Conquest TSi and they let me down in the rain.
Not wanting the same result in my Roadrunner, I chose Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials, because BF Goodrich T/A Radials would spin and smoke in motion, and Nittos are OUT because of the previous problem. The Toyos have been great so far. I need a drag radial as my "street tire", but that means occasionally I get caught in the rain.
Now when I have way more power than I have now, I may need more grab than the Toyos provide, but I'd still like the tires to be safe in the rain.
If that doesn't make sense to you, maybe you're right, you can't help me, but I will thank you for trying.

Pretty harsh. Makes no sense?
I'll try one more time:
I had Nitto 555R drag radials on my 89 Conquest TSi and they let me down in the rain.
Not wanting the same result in my Roadrunner, I chose Toyo Proxes TQ drag radials, because BF Goodrich T/A Radials would spin and smoke in motion, and Nittos are OUT because of the previous problem. The Toyos have been great so far. I need a drag radial as my "street tire", but that means occasionally I get caught in the rain.
Now when I have way more power than I have now, I may need more grab than the Toyos provide, but I'd still like the tires to be safe in the rain.
If that doesn't make sense to you, maybe you're right, you can't help me, but I will thank you for trying.
I will try again.....if the Toyo's are providing you with good grip on the street then you have no power and or no gear.......secondly you need to get over wanting something that handles good in the rain and yes I get it sometimes and I mean sometimes like almost never you get caught in a pop up storm but you need to pay closer attention to the weather and not take the car out if there is a chance. Thirdly I only have experience with the Mickey Thompson drag radials with both the ET STREET and the Radial Pro......they work OK dependent upon power.....I have over 900 with 4.88's so they obviously don't hook like you may want. Some guys like the Hoosiers...they may be very good I just never ran them...........lastly in my opinion there are no other choices....the Nitto's suck if you have any power and the Toyo's look like a street tire. Buy a M/T and you will more than likely enjoy them.....stay out of the rain.

Thanks, that's helpful.
I have a modded 440 6bbl and 4.10 gears, but the Toyos work way better than the BF Goodrich T/As, which didn't work for power.

Thanks, that's helpful.
I have a modded 440 6bbl and 4.10 gears, but the Toyos work way better than the BF Goodrich T/As, which didn't work for power.

You will soon find out that about anything you put on that car is going to be useless for traction other than a straight up bias ply hoosier QTP or drag slick. Those Toyo’s arnt going to be **** with real power.

I run the pro M/T’s on my roadrunner, they hold the power ok. Still gotta watch it cause if they go up at 40 mph you’re going for a ride.

132C3E8C-9DE7-454D-BCAD-106010718988.jpeg

Last edited:
You will soon find out that about anything you put on that car is going to be useless for traction other than a straight up bias ply hoosier QTP or drag slick. Those Toyo’s arnt going to be **** with real power.
Well...
I still need a street/highway tire.
I want to be able to do a Power Tour, Drag Week, drive 2 hours to the Battleship Alabama, and so on, and that means a chance of rain.
I'm consigned to the fact that if I want one less variable at the track, I'd better get a pair of slicks or some other "track only" tire and be done with it, and do the best I can with the "street tires" and that means able to drive in rain, with a very easy pedal.

Well...
I still need a street/highway tire.
I want to be able to do a Power Tour, Drag Week, drive 2 hours to the Battleship Alabama, and so on, and that means a chance of rain.
I'm consigned to the fact that if I want one less variable at the track, I'd better get a pair of slicks or some other "track only" tire and be done with it, and do the best I can with the "street tires" and that means able to drive in rain, with a very easy pedal.
I think you have got it. Know that anything with a reasonably safe rain performance will not hook at all with what you are building. Stick with the Toyos for street use if you are comfortable with them. You will need to use full-on bias slicks, or at the very minimum, et street PRO'S , on the strip.

I think you have got it. Know that anything with a reasonably safe rain performance will not hook at all with what you are building. Stick with the Toyos for street use if you are comfortable with them. You will need to use full-on bias slicks, or at the very minimum, et street PRO'S , on the strip.
Agreed. I am likely going to try the next size up Toyo 17" diameter tires for the rear with my existing Year One aluminum Rallye wheels, 9" wide w/5" backspace put the 315/35/17 Proxes TQ drag radials I have had for years perfectly centered and zero rubbing without bulging the sidewalls. The 345/40/17 TQ are 13.7" overall (not tread) width, vs 12.6" and overall diameter is 27.7" vs 25.6". Both have a wider wheel width recommended, but as I said, the sidewalls on the ones I've had don't look like they are strained on the 9" wide Rallye wheels.
Both of those dimensions are going to really test the available space I have for a tire to fit.
OR
I may just go ahead and get the new AMD wheel tubs installed, AND get a pair of the Year One aluminum Rallye wheels widened and backspace adjusted to fit MONSTER wide tires, which I'm going to wind up with eventually anyway.
It's a question of time required to have the wheel tubs installed, leaf spring relocation and the associated frame work done, and how much that's going to cost and the time and cost of having a pair of wheels widened. My existing Toyos are going to need to be replaced and they may not wait, so trying the next size up is "easy" and I can return them and get the same size I have now if the 345/40s don't fit.
I'm going to have to make a decision soon.
Thanks for all the replies!

I have had M/T ET Street, Hoosier Quick Time Pro, and Nitto 555. The Hoosiers hooked really well on the strip and I like the Nitto’s on the street. I should add the fact that my car never see’s rain.

Auto Transport Service
Back