• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drag slick size question

bluesman41

Local time
3:48 PM
Reaction score
Does anybody know what is the widest size of drag slick that will fit under a 68 Roadrunner not tubbed?
I am recently using toyo drag slicks 28/9/15 they are not working so good.

How fast it the car?

last pass was 11.09 @ 123.45 mph been trying to get into the 10's but just lost a head but have new ones being worked on should do at least 10.5 once completed crossing fingers anyway!

I have 305/45/18 drag radials on my charger with stock width rear and no tubs, 11.61" wide, im guessing a 12.5 would be the max, I know one person running 12.5's on a stock roadrunnder with 15's

really 12.5 do you know what brand they are I was thinking on getting Hoosier slicks
Thanks for the info!

10.5x29.5 fit easily, but you may not need them. My son runs a turbo 62 Plymouth w/trans brake, 1.38/9.63 on 275 radials. My buddy's 64 Polara goes 1.54/10.69 on 9x28. My 64 Belvedere has been 1.25/9.02 on 10.5x31. Heck a guy I work with has been 1.21/8.17 on 10.5x28. You don't need a ton of tire to hook. What is your set-up? Shocks, suspension, gear converter?
Doug

Like Doug says you dont need the widest tire today since the tire's are so good in todays world with the great tire technology we have. I run 30 x 9 radial slicks on my 63 and it hooks very good on them. Ran 10.76 three passes in a row on them using just SS springs. Had a best 60 ft of a 1.50 and I drive these tires on the street as I have been for about 5 years. You should be able to hook fine on a 9 to 11" slick. My car is a B-body but its a 63 Sport Fury but I would bet you can fit an 11" slick under your car in the stock wheelwell if needed. But as said you sould be able to hook great just using a 10.5" wide slick. Whats your 60 ft and the specs on your car like eng , hp , conveter , gear , suspension and so on. Good luck with it , Ron

I have a 440 bored 30 over with diamond pistons, scat h beam rods, custom ground crank, and using a quick fuel 850 race carb. did have stealth heads but they went to crap so just bought some new 75 cc edelbrock heads they are at at my machinist friend doing a valve job and honing the valve guides along with plaining it down to a 73cc chamber I have a custom built 3500 stall converter. complete caltrac's suspension, transbrake my 60' is a 1.6 which sucks I spin almost all the way down the track at times I truly think it is the tire compound I am using the toyo 28 9 15 slicks which they no longer make so thinking of going with hoosier slicks!

- - - Updated - - -

good name! My name is Doug as well :happy7:

We use M/T. With right shocks that thing will hook dot drag radials or 9-10" slick easy.
Doug

Doug

Should I pay more attention to the section width for fit vs the tread width? the 28-10.5-15 has a tread width of 10.30 and section width of 12.10 the 29-10.5-15 has a tread width of 11.00 and a section width of 13.20

Section width for spring and outer wheelhouse clearance .

Either will fit but as stated section width is what matters for fit as long as the wheel offset is correct.

Thanks guy's a friend of mine loaned me a Percy's wheelrite wheel & tire Simulator tool I will give it a try.

Auto Transport Service
Back