• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drive in theaters

I remember taking my girlfriend to one in high school. I've no recollection whatsoever of the movie that played that evening. Sure had a good time though.

I bet they make a big come with all this social distance stuff.

I believe that the big theater owners go to outdoor stuff. With AMC in trouble with indoor theater why not bring back something we all enjoyed. Plus the social distance will work nicely.

Been going to the drive-ins in Warwick NY and Wellfleet Mass since I was a kid. Both are still operating and doing well. My father went to them his whole life and brought me as a kid. Now it's 2020 and my kids go to the same drive-ins. It would be great if they could bring their kids someday.

There is one local to me that does pretty good business.

Lots of first run double features, themes and weekend morning flea markets.

Went by one yesterday in Newville , Pa.
Looked like it was still open.
Problem would be the cost of land that big.............. to set up new ones.
Like # 5 ....LOL...was true for me.

So true the cost of the land would be a deal breaker. We have a few here in AZ. Not sure how they are doing but would think they would be doing better with this virus going around.

The anchor babe in the sudio has a schnoz like Mr. Potato Head.

MrPotatoHeadvray3dmodel001.jpgA15DBBB1-4004-4213-A8DC-F596F8806983Default.jpg

we used to go all the time when we were teens don't seem to remeber any movies while with girlfriends .

There is one for sale up North here it will be sad when all gone . The land is where the value is .

Seen that darn cat at drive in, our whole family went. After that never got around to watching movies,great place for no social distancing and underage drinking with the fair maidens back then.

When they were young I brought my 2 boys to the local drive in for their first time. They hated it. I didn't like that particular time either. It was a nice summer evening and we naturally had the windows down while watching the movie. We were swarmed with all kinds of bugs, flies and mosquitoes. All I can remember is all the complaining.

My first drive in experience was "Live And Let Die" when it first came out in 1974.

I was six.

Not real sure what my aunt and uncle were thinking taking me along for that with my 2 several year older cousins.

Had nightmares about those crocodiles and Tee Hee's pincher arm for years.

I did love the car chases, though, and the funky 70's vibe.

Later, I appreciated Jayne Seymore.

Last edited:
The owner of the one that my son has worked at since he was 12 (now 37) decided it was the year to finally close what her Father and Uncle had started many moons ago. Bet they're rethinking that decision really hard right now... and since #1 Son made sure to swoop by and reclaim all his electronic equipment before it went AWOL they probably couldn't open if they wanted to now.
darylprojectionbooth.jpg
darylprojectionbooth2crop.jpg

The owner of the one that my son has worked at since he was 12 (now 37) decided it was the year to finally close what her Father and Uncle had started many moons ago. Bet they're rethinking that decision really hard right now... and since #1 Son made sure to swoop by and reclaim all his electronic equipment before it went AWOL they probably couldn't open if they wanted to now.
View attachment 944332 View attachment 944333
Bummer. Hate to see them go. :(

@Aarons Air

I once snuck 4 people and a case of Budweiser into the Skyborn in the trunk of my 66 olds 98.

They were reasonably comfortable.

Auto Transport Service
Back