• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ram truck do not drive order.

Takata recall is as old as the hills. Should have been taken care of years ago. EVEN I took the Charger and Challenger in to an incompetent dealer for the change-out. Had no choice.

Screw all that.
We drove without air bags and mostly survived. Quit letting people turn us into wimps.

When Lee Iacocca wrote about air bags in 1983 he said he was unsure about placing bombs in dashboards . It's kind of sad that a safety device kills so many people. What is really sad is the public has no choice when it comes to air bags in the cars they buy.

I've already done the swap many years ago. I'll be watching for the notice to do it again.

I took my 2013 Charger in when they sent the recall but that was some years back it was in warranty yet so I thought might as well keep everything up in case I want to trade it in. I thought they would come back to Hemi+AWD+Sedan by now, but NOPE. So I never traded.
Now they are going to add alcohol sensors, microphones, cameras and all sorts of nonsense to new ones so I still won't trade.

Personally, I would NEVER take a 2003 truck to a dealer for anything for them to hook a computer to it. 100% certain part of this airbag replacement will include an "update flash for the ecm". Frankly if you are worried an airbag that hasn't killed you in 20 years might suddenly do so now you must be your insurance agent's best customer.

I took my 2005 Magnum R/T back to the dealer for a recall on the driver's side Takata airbag inflater years ago. While waiting for this service to be completed, I was killing time reading the local newspaper in the showroom. Coincidentally, there was an article in the Business Section about Takata failing Quality Audits because the actuators were exploding in tests and in service. The article went on to say that the company had no process in place to identify or rectify the problem. Most of my working career was spent in Q.C. in automotive parts plants. I know how quality audits are supposed to work. If a company repeatedly fails them, it does not get to supply parts any more. I was sure that the new piece that went back into my car was no better or worse than what came out of it.

Just missed all that BS with my 2000 Dakota, and I have replaced the wheel and airbag myself when the onion skin thin leather wore out.

If I ever need to work on the steering wheel again, I'm putting in a 1970-74 tuff wheel.

Just missed all that BS with my 2000 Dakota, and I have replaced the wheel and airbag myself when the onion skin thin leather wore out.

If I ever need to work on the steering wheel again, I'm putting in a 1970-74 tuff wheel.

BTW- 2000 was the last year for a splined steering shaft.

I bought a beautiful 2001 leather wheel at a U pull and it had a "D" shaped mount.

F

BTW- 2000 was the last year for a splined steering shaft.

I bought a beautiful 2001 leather wheel at a U pull and it had a "D" shaped mount.

F
Interesting...I pulled the steering wheel off my 2001 Dakota to replace the clockspring and it was splined. Wonder if that was a mid-year change.

They kind of lost me when they announced the recall and then I found out they were continuing to install the same (allegedly) defective air bags they were recalling, in new production vehicles. As far as I know this continued for years after the recall because they lacked alternate suppliers. It may continue to this day? Sort of creating a perpetual problem and recall.

Did the recall years ago. Took about four hours. While I waited I test drove some Challengers.

That's almost as bad as our 2022 Ford "recall" (in quotes there because they can't schedule any repairs as they don't know exactly what to do and even if they did they don't have parts)....
"This recall is to warn owners of possible random catastrophic engine failure....if you notice any loud sounds and/or the suddenly engine stops, safely pull off the road..." Sheesh.

After ignoring all the phone calls and letters on account that two different dealers nearby already couldn't do anything else right, they finally sent someone to my house to get me to bring my 06 charger in. I fully expect to have problems with the thing when I get it back.

Screw all that.
We drove without air bags and mostly survived. Quit letting people turn us into wimps.
Kids today are pussys!
E034E396-F858-45F8-81C3-2536CF116717.jpeg
0F394512-85CC-4615-89A5-A79D2E8C7383.jpeg
F8355E97-0372-4D7D-9F5A-2BFDA6E8595A.jpeg
:D

Have a recall on my Toyota Avalon for air bag senors. They won't deploy air bags if rear end a vehicle that you go under. Have a bunch of reminders, get to it one of these days.

I did all that stuff as a kid. I jumped over kids, bicycles, rocks, narrow creeks and a clothes hamper once. I broke a lot of bike parts and paid for replacements by raking leaves, pulling weeds and mowing lawns. I grew up and made 2 2 hour home movies with car stunts, wrecks and rollovers. I was never hurt seriously....just some cuts and bruises here and there.
Then I was on my own roof a month ago and fell off....and broke my shoulder in 2 places, a rib and got a concussion.
So what...I lived through it all and have great memories!

I did all that stuff as a kid. I jumped over kids, bicycles, rocks, narrow creeks and a clothes hamper once. I broke a lot of bike parts and paid for replacements by raking leaves, pulling weeds and mowing lawns. I grew up and made 2 2 hour home movies with car stunts, wrecks and rollovers. I was never hurt seriously....just some cuts and bruises here and there.
Then I was on my own roof a month ago and fell off....and broke my shoulder in 2 places, a rib and got a concussion.
So what...I lived through it all and have great memories!
We would go to the dump with one of the dad's that were about to head out to get rid of junk. Always found good bike parts out there and whenever we found something good, it was brought home if we needed it or not but there were times when we rode out there on our bikes if we needed something quick. Thinking back where the dump was back then....it was about 8 or so miles one one way but that ride was nothing.

And I've been meaning to disconnect the air back sensors on my pickups......don't like seeing the results of what happens in minor accidents! No recalls on them that I know of though. All 3 of them are mid 90's.

I'll admit, airbags can save lives. This was my 2006 Ram 1500.

06.JPG

Bought new in Sept 2006 with 12 miles on it.
Just over a year later with 33,000:
2006 1.JPG

2006 2.JPG

A guy ran a stop sign and hit my left front, deflecting me off course and into a concrete filled bollard. Seat belt, air bag and the only damage to me was a headache and broken sunglasses. I walked away and refused medical transport to the hospital. The truck was totaled. This impact without an air bag may have resulted in a collar bone break due to the upper section of the 3 point seat belt against my chest. The air bag stopped forward movement before the seat belt reached the point of locking.
Having stated that, accidents like this one are rare. I would have survived it in my old Chevy too....

C 10 J.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back