• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Driveshaft comparision Carbon fiber vs alum vs steel

Nothing like an Aluminum frame to run over a dime and know what year it is minted.. I have an Older GT Road frame, light, but STIFF....

I got a set of lighter wheels made climbing a little easier...
Yep! Carbon definitely easier on the 'ol rump that's for sure, especially on long days in the saddle....

Just a few pictures of the CF shaft compared to my steel one. My CF shaft is a couple inches longer, and 3.2 inch diameter compared to the 3.5 on the steel. It's 14.6 lbs compared to the 25.8 lbs of the shorter steel shaft.

For those talking about the 'flexing', it's not exactly what you would think. Even an aluminum shaft can wrap up a little, but this wrapping isn't something you're going to see or feel, even with the CF. Where it benefits is that it will take the brunt of the impact away from the tires on the pavement and help with your launch when you hammer down. QA1 can change the wrap to provide more or less of this wrapping. Its new CF driveshaft for circle track is helping racers with traction because of how they wrap the carbon fiber.

When a dirt track car gets up into the soft stuff, the tires spin, obviously. As they move back down into the hard pack, traction is going to be greater and with all that torque and power, the way they wrap the shaft helps keep that transition from soft to hard pack a little smoother. I am, by far, not a driveshaft or carbon fiber expert, but they are doing pretty cool things with carbon fiber driveshafts at QA1... and they can help explain it better than I can with any concerns you might have.

IMG_7369.jpg IMG_7377.jpg IMG_7396.jpg

I got the 3.7" QA1 in my 74 Roadrunner........ One of the best upgrades i've done. With my 7500 RPM redline and 4.56 gears, it was the only logical choice for me. It's smooth.... No more driveline vibrations at all. I never had my car to the track before i installed this shaft so i can't tell you if my ET is better but i think the throttle response feels quicker...... Mopar Muscle did some dyno testing in their small block Challenger with the QA1 and it picked up 11hp and 6 ft lbs.... Here's a shot of my underside with it in and a link to the Mopar Muscle article.
http://www.hotrod.com/articles/the-lowdown-on-carbon-fiber-driveshafts-from-qa1/

Underside.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back