• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

driveshaft to third member connection

Damien B.

Local time
11:30 AM
Reaction score
Hi, sorry for stupid question but Iym lacking the vocabulary, being french doesn't help with technical vocabulary.
What is the name of the x shaped connector that connects the drive shaft to the third member?
I have an 8 3/4 rear end mounted on my 71satellite and the previous owner had another third member with a 3.23 ratio that I would like to put in for better highway drivability.
The issue is that the current third member I have is smaller than the one I want to put in.
Am I going to have to switch my drive shaft or is there some x shaped connector I can find to fit a small u joint on the drive shaft to a bigger u joint on the third member? If yes what is the name of that part I should be looking for?
Thanks for your help

Yes the x is the u joint and they do make one that's got the big size on one side and the small side in the other. You need that

It's called the rear end yoke. They make a large and small yoke depending on the u-joint size your using on the driveshaft. They also make conversation u-joints to adapt between small/large yokes. 440'

Here is a pic of the one I want to put in (sorry in france we use metric system )
IMG_20210221_150719.jpg

Here is a picture of the one currently mounted
20210221_151133.jpg

And the dimensions
IMG_20210221_151508.jpg

I m a bit confused should I change the yoke or the x shaped u joint

Last edited:
There you go, get the u-joint, fastest lower cost solution! 440'

MOOG #347 is the part number RUFFCUT

Last edited:
MOOG #347 is the part number RUFFCUT
thanks for the reference
i hate the fact that the unit arent the same i m not sure when i m ordering parts that the ones size are the proper one
Now i ll just have to make sure i get the proper U joint caps :D

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back