• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Drop Base Air Cleaner Throttle Clearance

Moparfiend

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
11:57 PM
Reaction score
So I need to use a drip base air cleaner for hood clearance. Welp the throttle linkage hits the base (see pic). I kinda expected this and am wondering what you guys do to implement a drop base air cleaner like this.

IMG_8356.jpeg

Specter air cleaner spacers. Three thicknesses, stackable . $12 at amazon.looks like you might only need 1/4 or 1/2 inch.
Google air cleaner spacers for a selection.
(i have a drop base aircleaner, spun aluminum, gorgeous. Been sitting on a shelf for twenty years, won't clear throttle linkage on a holley, even with a spacer).

Specter air cleaner spacers. Three thicknesses, stackable . $12 at amazon.looks like you might only need 1/4 or 1/2 inch.
Google air cleaner spacers for a selection.
(i have a drop base aircleaner, spun aluminum, gorgeous. Been sitting on a shelf for twenty years, won't clear throttle linkage on a holley, even with a spacer).
Thanks. Yeah a spacer will raise the assembly defeating the purpose and I need the clearance I believe. I am thinking of rounding off the end of the linkage. What’s the name for the end part thats got the slot and the threaded hole for the rod called? Do they reproduce these?

Well I don't know the answer to your question, none of my mopars use a kickdown. I'd get some play doh and find out how much clearance you DO have.

I would grind that square edge off the top of the linkage and try that.

Another option would be to modify the bracket where the KD and throttle are mounted at the intake. It looks like raising the rear would level out the KD rod so that the far forward end isn't scraping the underside of the air cleaner base.

How much does it need to be raised? Would doubling up on the air cleaner gaskets be enough? I cut a spacer out of 1/4” plastic by using the gasket as a pattern for my drop base air cleaner.

Another option would be to modify the bracket where the KD and throttle are mounted at the intake. It looks like raising the rear would level out the KD rod so that the far forward end isn't scraping the underside of the air cleaner base.
Good point KD the geometry might be leveled out more giving me more clearance. This would help thanks!

Good point KD the geometry might be leveled out more giving me more clearance. This would help thanks!
I had to make my own aircleaner base , same problem tho ,ended up cutting a slot to clear the linkage, had my welder heliarc a cover over it , kinda like a long half moon looking thing =works...

I use a transmission kick down cable instead of the OE linkage. Never had one that didn’t clear.

Sounds like you need the BFH tool. You could just put a small dimple in the base for clearance.

Ok I radius ground the kickdown linkage but still about 1/2 inch of interference from the kickdown. So no happiness there.

Can’t use spacers as that would raise the assembly.

Next was looking for a 16 drop base as the wider diameter should probably clear the linkage. But looks like all the drop base 16” bases are designed for Dominators that are 7 inch openings.

Don’t really want to convert to a Lokar set up but this might be the only viable option.

Sounds like you need the BFH tool. You could just put a small dimple in the base for clearance.
Thought about that but … Need 1/2 inch. And it’s right in the air filter chanel.

Ok I radius ground the kickdown linkage but still about 1/2 inch of interference from the kickdown. So no happiness there.

Can’t use spacers as that would raise the assembly.

Next was looking for a 16 drop base as the wider diameter should probably clear the linkage. But looks like all the drop base 16” bases are designed for Dominators that are 7 inch openings.

Don’t really want to convert to a Lokar set up but this might be the only viable option.
Is it possible to bend the kick down rod a tad to bring that end lower?

Is it possible to bend the kick down rod a tad to bring that end lower?
I don’t see how I could lower. If anything like KD said rising it in the back might help the geometry more linear but I am starting not to see how it can be done.

IMG_8368.jpeg

Pics are definitely worth a thousand words,, or more.
That's quite the bendy KD rod.

This is a 340 i put together had to massage the kick down
Not the greatest pics
20221221_190306.jpg
20221221_190319.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back