• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dropping out engine with 4 post hoist

Image preview

H pipe and exhaust removed.
And that's the key... On my Challenger the pipes are welded to the resonators, which are welded to the over axle pipes, which are welded to the mufflers.... The car has been driven a lot & had two sets of resonators & mufflers... The last time my buddy welded them....

So I had to drop the axle out too...

And that's the key... On my Challenger the pipes are welded to the resonators, which are welded to the over axle pipes, which are welded to the mufflers.... The car has been driven a lot & had two sets of resonators & mufflers... The last time my buddy welded them....

So I had to drop the axle out too...
I see your point. We usually separate the mufflers from the tailpipes and remove the H pipe and mufflers as a unit.

But back to the 4 post hoist...

Sounds like the hardest way to do it. And I usually find the hardest way to do something lol :rofl:

Chain hoist over the rafters, lift er up, roll drivetrain under on a jack, ( no drinking!) And drop the body down.
This would be easier.

I have a two post and a cart I built (for snowmobile work) that worked like a charm. I used it on my 2008 Town & Country too.
Mike

IMG_2642.JPG
IMG_2680.JPG

Put it low on the floor and then raise the car off of it :D I've never done it that way but seems it wouldn't be hard to do with a cradle under it all.....
Wasn't thinking about the runways on a 4 post.....imo, they are going to be in the way.

4 post would be a p.i.t.a. I know it won't come down between the runners of my 4 post hoist. I never have a problem with just doing it from the top like normal with my electric chain hoist or with the picker if out in the driveway.

I built 4 of these years ago. They didn't work well for moving the car around because the casters were too small, but I should be able to bridge two of them to make a nice cart for supporting the engine and trans.

IMG_1904.JPG

IMG_1907.JPG

Auto Transport Service
Back