• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dropping out engine with 4 post hoist

qkcuda

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:59 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone ever dropped the engine trans combo out of the bottom of the car using a four post hoist? Could you build a cradle and lower it down onto the cradle, then pull the k frame bolts and raise the hoist?

Put it low on the floor and then raise the car off of it :D I've never done it that way but seems it wouldn't be hard to do with a cradle under it all.....

engine1.jpg
engine2.jpg

You need to measure the distance between your runways... And the K member.... Two post lifts are better suited to that kind of work... It might be possible on a four post but you need to know that before you start... Might be better to do it on the ground like 91 R/T shows above..

I got the engine in and out of my D150 while it was on a 4-post lift. I can get some measurements on the width between the runners if you want them, but I think taking it out from the bottom would be challenging. I got mine from above after I got an engine hoist with extended legs and boom. They are all long enough that I had sufficient reach to raise the lift about 10" so the hoist would roll under it, and then still have enough vertical lift on the hoist to get the engine out. That was a slant with the trans still attached too.

I can get a photo of the style of the hoist if you want it.

Last edited:
I will measure the distance between the ramps and the k frame when I get a chance. I have always taken them out from the top. I wanted to try this way so I could leave the A/C in place, since it is still charged and working. I do have an engine hoist and the extra garage space to do it like 91 r/t suggests.

I will measure the distance between the ramps and the k frame when I get a chance. I have always taken them out from the top. I wanted to try this way so I could leave the A/C in place, since it is still charged and working. I do have an engine hoist and the extra garage space to do it like 91 r/t suggests.
There are lots of good reasons to drop it out the bottom... And a few reasons not to...

Also, even if the K frame will fit through the runways of your lift there's zero chance the lower controll arms will, so you'll need to disassemble the suspension on the car... Kinda a bummer...

On a 4 post lift you will have to completely remove all the front suspension and have the front of the car supported. Then if you are going to have to support your AC from the top also. Then there is still the question about the K frame fitting between the rails on your lift. It's a lot less trouble to do it like @91r/t said.

Seems to me I've pulled more than one from above and left the a/c intact...
But I've always wanted to try one from underneath.

From the bottom is super easy with a 2 post lift, and a rolling cradle for the K frame, engine and transmission. Only an hour and a half job if you have done it a few times.

Also, even if the K frame will fit through the runways of your lift there's zero chance the lower controll arms will, so you'll need to disassemble the suspension on the car... Kinda a bummer...
Good point, I hadn't considered that.

From the bottom is super easy with a 2 post lift, and a rolling cradle for the K frame, engine and transmission. Only an hour and a half job if you have done it a few times.
The biggest issue if you have manifolds is the exhaust... Headers actually make it easier..

I did remove the heads and change the cam with the A/C compressor suspended, but I don't see how you could pull the engine out without removing the lines.

The biggest issue if you have manifolds is the exhaust... Headers actually make it easier..
I put the engine fully dressed along with transmission and K frame in my Superbird from the bottom with no issues from the manifolds. I have done 2 other 70 B bodies and numerous 67's both in and out from the bottom with no manifold issues. 67's go right in or out, the 70's we had to move the rolling cradle about 3/4" one way then back the other way so the manifolds would clear.

I imagine so....if a fella had ever had access to such niceties....

I did remove the heads and change the cam with the A/C compressor suspended, but I don't see how you could pull the engine out without removing the lines.
Depends on the car and the engine, of course - but nothing unusual about the concept.

I put the engine fully dressed along with transmission and K frame in my Superbird from the bottom with no issues from the manifolds. I have done 2 other 70 B bodies and numerous 67's both in and out from the bottom with no manifold issues. 67's go right in or out, the 70's we had to move the rolling cradle about 3/4" one way then back the other way so the manifolds would clear.
But was the H pipe attached or separated from the car...

I imagine so....if a fella had ever had access to such niceties....
Come on down, my first big tool purchase 30 years ago was a 2 post lift. I made my rolling cradle from a discarded Wal-Mart dolly and wood. It only fits big block Chrysler's but does the job.

Auto Transport Service
Back