• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Dyno Results

ksurfer2

Local time
8:31 PM
Reaction score
Results are in for my new motor. Started with a running and driving 440 6bbl with unknown internals. My instructions to the machine shop was to put together a 500inch stroker motor that maintained the 6bbl set up, and stock manifolds. The motor needed to be pump gas friendly and look stock when put back together. The shop did not disappoint! 574hp and 601ft/lbs torque. I don't have all the details of the engine internals with me, I know Edelbrock performer heads, full roller cam/rockers (I don't have cam specs handy). I did add a Hughes 2800rpm torque converter and the am currently running a Dana 60 with 4.10 gears. With all the torque I have now down low, I am thinking something like a 3.08 gear will me the next change.

Motor is in the car, but not yet fully buttoned up. Apparently my new motor mounts are a small bit taller than the original ones. A little clearance work will need to be done to the hood to get it to clear (A-12 style lift off hood).
Publication1.jpg

Nicely done, is that a typo you want to go from a 4.10 to a 3.08? If not better make sure your cam will be happy with those gears that’s a pretty drastic change.

Highest standard available gear for a Dana is a 3.55. Andy F. is working on bringing out a 3.23 set, but I don't have current info. There is a Dana 61 that uses a 3.07 (or something like that) but that set won't work in a sixty, pinion offset is different in the housing.
I think it has been done, but it took lots of machine time, lots of money.

Results are in for my new motor. Started with a running and driving 440 6bbl with unknown internals. My instructions to the machine shop was to put together a 500inch stroker motor that maintained the 6bbl set up, and stock manifolds. The motor needed to be pump gas friendly and look stock when put back together. The shop did not disappoint! 574hp and 601ft/lbs torque. I don't have all the details of the engine internals with me, I know Edelbrock performer heads, full roller cam/rockers (I don't have cam specs handy). I did add a Hughes 2800rpm torque converter and the am currently running a Dana 60 with 4.10 gears. With all the torque I have now down low, I am thinking something like a 3.08 gear will me the next change.

Motor is in the car, but not yet fully buttoned up. Apparently my new motor mounts are a small bit taller than the original ones. A little clearance work will need to be done to the hood to get it to clear (A-12 style lift off hood).
View attachment 680609

Very nice. Will be interested in the details when you get them.

I would be happy with that! I agree with others though I don't think there is a ratio that high available and even if there is I don't think I would go that route but that's just my opinion. Depending on your cam, it may run like crap until you get the RPMs up

Did they dyno with the exhaust manifolds on?

Awesome!!! I also agree with these guys on the gear selection, sounds a bit to far in the other direction. 3:55's are an all around great gear except on a 70 mpg freeway, not to terrible but not ideal either. I've tinkered with gears in my 456 ranging between 3:55's-4:30's and found that it doesn't like numerically high gears (tacked out and shifting constantly). With 3:55's it pulls long and hard in every gear but I'm also running a standard where an automatic would tolerate more gear.

Hood clearance issue may be due to the heads, not the motor mounts.

Awesome!!! I also agree with these guys on the gear selection, sounds a bit to far in the other direction. 3:55's are an all around great gear except on a 70 mpg freeway, not to terrible but not ideal either. I've tinkered with gears in my 456 ranging between 3:55's-4:30's and found that it doesn't like numerically high gears (tacked out and shifting constantly). With 3:55's it pulls long and hard in every gear but I'm also running a standard where an automatic would tolerate more gear.
Yep, 3.54 or 3.55 in the Dana. (Can't remember which) Good all around ratio

thanks. I will look into that. My wallet needs some time to recover first.

View attachment 680609
Excellent! Congrats!

I’d love to know a few things, so, when you find out what the cam specs (card/grind number from who was used), compression, exhaust set up tested & if any head work was done, I’d be set grateful on that information.

The 3.54s with 28 inch tires are a good all around gear.

Excellent! Congrats!

I’d love to know a few things, so, when you find out what the cam specs (card/grind number from who was used), compression, exhaust set up tested & if any head work was done, I’d be set grateful on that information.
Cam is a comp thumper hyd roller 23-602-9.
Motor was dyno'd with shop headers on it (not the manifolds I plan to run.)
According to shop, they planned to run the heads out of the box.
Not sure what final compression is, I have to go back to the shop tomorrow and will ask. I told them the motor needed to be pump gas friendly, and they tell me it is, so it wont be too extreme.

Comp Cams 23-602-9

243/[email protected], 107lsa

I’ll be curious to hear your impressions about how you like that cam with exhaust manifolds and full exhaust on the motor.

Frankly, I wouldn’t expect that cam to be a very good match for exhaust manifold use.

Looks like a tight LSA, I was under the impression that a wider LSA was better for stock manifolds.

I was under the impression that a wider LSA was better for stock manifolds.
That has absolutely nothing to do with what the engine likes or what exhaust manifolds like.

When it comes to exhaust manifolds or headers, the real question is about power output. How much power will exhaust manifolds release vs headers and what your willing to live with and without.

The amount of air that each will move is one of the factors in power production. The exhaust manifolds has longevity and heat control over headers.
Headers almost always (99.9% of the time) help release more power. No matter the cam spec, size or power level of the engine.

Looks like a tight LSA, I was under the impression that a wider LSA was better for stock manifolds.

My experience it has everything to do with LSA, and importantly overlap

Comp Cams 23-602-9

243/[email protected], 107lsa

I’ll be curious to hear your impressions about how you like that cam with exhaust manifolds and full exhaust on the motor.

Frankly, I wouldn’t expect that cam to be a very good match for exhaust manifold use.
Curious as to what your selection would have been and why?

I've never understood the point of placing an engine on the dyno with different headers than will be on the car. On a big-inch Wedge, it could mean a 550 HP pull with dyno headers and open exhaust, versus a 475 HP pull with manifolds and restrictive mufflers. What gets me even more, is when a carburetor is tuned on the dyno for WOT with that dyno header.

Hot Rod's Manifold vs. Header article tested an RB.
Peak power with manifolds was 422-HP @ 5,400 & 469 ft/lbs @ 4,200.
Peak power with 1 3/4" long tubes was 492-hp @ 5,400 & 536 ft/lbs @ 4,200.

Good article by AndyF about building a 550-hp Wedge with manifolds
http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/bb/550hp.html

"...We found duration greater than 245-degrees at .050-inch killed the low-end torque curve. Worse yet, the motor wouldn't make any more power upstairs with the big cam."

The bench-racing debate here is, how much power will you lose, not only by running that camshaft with manifolds, but just running manifolds in general?

Last edited:
Auto Transport Service
Back