• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E body brakes on B body

deputydog

Local time
3:05 PM
Reaction score
The 64 fury I recently picked up has e body disc brake set up on front based off AREngineering paperwork the seller gave me. Seems to stop and work good but odd issue is the grease cap on the drivers side rotor fits great, put same grease cap on passenger side rotor and it’s loose. Obviously the inside diameter is different , my main concern is if or do I have the correct rotors since one is different.

anyone had this issue?

E body cars used the same parts as either A body or B body depending on the year. Your rotors are most likely the same part number but one of them might have been machined wrong. Either measure them or post a picture on here so someone can tell you what you have.

I’ll post pic tomorrow...but the bore on the passenger side is about .050 bigger. Going pull wheels tomorrow and check to see part numbers on spindles, rotors, etc

Most likely a manufacturing defect since rotors should have the same bore size. Mopar used a few different grease caps over the years but the grease cap matches the bearing size so you wouldn't have two different rotors on your car unless someone put two different knuckles on it. That would be a very weird thing but I suppose it is possible.

I have heard of aftermarket chinese caps fitting loose like that

I went through something like this on my Cuda. I modified the brakes but I am using the stock E body rotor (cut down to make a hub from them) and I bought some generic dust caps, one fit like they are supposed to but the other one did not, would basically fall out. I found some stock ones and that side went in ok but with far less resistance. It is still on there so I guess its ok. I think it is case of tolerance stock, the ID of the rotor is a few thou too much and the caps are a few thou too few.

Some things to ponder:

In 1973 rotors were made 1-pc (unicast). The spindle, part of the knuckle, saw an increase in diameter at the inner bearing area. Inner bearing was larger, outer bearing and hardware did NOT change, but grease cap diameter DID increase.

Rick E.

Just wanted to update since I just pulled the rotors...good news is the spindles on both sides are correct as are the rotors. Both rotors have casting #97455 on them but the grease cap diameter measures 1.810 on the drivers side which that cap fits perfect and the passenger side measures 1.871 hence the loose cap. Looks like it’s just a machining defect...any idea what the 97455 rotors are off of and where get a 1.871 grease cap?

Some things to ponder:

In 1973 rotors were made 1-pc (unicast). The spindle, part of the knuckle, saw an increase in diameter at the inner bearing area. Inner bearing was larger, outer bearing and hardware did NOT change, but grease cap diameter DID increase.

Rick E.
Well HELLO Professor Ehrenberg! Good to see you here!

Some things to ponder:

Rick E.
o
Yes welcome aboard. Thanks for joining

Now your a gold member hope you stick around

I would just google that cap size and click buy, it doesn't matter what it's off as long as it fits.

What would the odds be of Freiburger showing up here too!? :D

Auto Transport Service
Back