• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

E-brake cables steel or stainless steel?

dcmason69

Local time
12:01 AM
Reaction score
Which cable is preferred steel or stainless steel? Is the stainless a pain to work with will it lay the same as stainless?
Need help deciding what to buy
Thank you

So you have worked with the stainless?
If so they installed ok?
Iam just concerned if the stainless are a PITA to get to lay nicely!
Thank you for your input

It will almost always have a light tension on it. Now break lines are a pia in stainless.

Ok on the cables
I agree the stainless 3/16 fluid lines are hard work with, I made all my own using ni-cop and covered most of them in gravel guard s/s spring.
Thanks again
It will almost always have a light tension on it. Now break lines are a pia in stainless.

FWIW, my SS Inlines came with a "3-hit automation top lock" locknut for adjusting at the equalizer. Prevailing torque was excessive and galled up the threads as you can see in this picture.......

1703116316620.png

1703117166166.png

Inline did nothing for me as it was "beyond our warranty period". So, don't buy too early and let them sit.
Otherwise, they are fine.

IMO....it depends on whether the car will be driven in the winter....with what the state treats their roads with.....most, not all states use a salt or salt/magnesium chloride mix. Every one knows that chlorides are death on austinetic stainless steel (302, 304, 309, 316.....iron, chrome and nickel composition) and will corrode faster than regular carbon steel.
In illinois, IDOT, treates the roads with a BRINE SOLUTION, which is applied to road surfaces, bridge decks, bridge super structure.....beside slowly dissolving ALL the vehicles, it also dissolves the bridges and super structure.....thereby creating a wonderful opportunity for the IDOT workers who get OT to apply the brine solution but an excellent opportunity to rebuild all the bridges and super structures.....and the hits just keep on coming......we just like to keep shooting ourselves in the feet....
BOB RENTON

IMO....it depends on whether the car will be driven in the winter....with what the state treats their roads with.....most, not all states use a salt or salt/magnesium chloride mix. Every one knows that chlorides are death on austinetic stainless steel (302, 304, 309, 316.....iron, chrome and nickel composition) and will corrode faster than regular carbon steel.
In illinois, IDOT, treates the roads with a BRINE SOLUTION, which is applied to road surfaces, bridge decks, bridge super structure.....beside slowly dissolving ALL the vehicles, it also dissolves the bridges and super structure.....thereby creating a wonderful opportunity for the IDOT workers who get OT to apply the brine solution but an excellent opportunity to rebuild all the bridges and super structures.....and the hits just keep on coming......we just like to keep shooting ourselves in the feet....
BOB RENTON
Thank you for the info
I did not know that, you are a plithera of info
BOB RENTON
Thank you for the information.
You are a plethora of knowledge!
No I do not plan to drive in winter
So I am thinking using original steel
brake cables, I am thinking they will be easier to work with maybe I will try to get some RPM on them or maybe just wipe them down good and foof some clear on them.
dcmason69

Auto Transport Service
Back