• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early 60s Shift Cable

Stumper

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:55 PM
Reaction score
Attempting to use some shrink tube to seal up a leak on the shift cable of my 62 727. I have both 1/2 (2:1) and 5/8” (3:1) tube on hand. I thought I had seen a diagram showing the inside where the cable connects in my TM but apparently not. The directions say to use a screw driver to push on a spring clip that holds the cable end. Unfortunately I can’t see into the darn neutral safety hole to see anything. My exhaust keeps me from getting my fat head in that position.
So my questions are - if I had a diagram showing the point where the cable attaches inside the trans to see what I am dealing with could I poke a screwdriver in blind and depress the spring. If this is possible does anyone have said diagram?? Can the cable be reattached blind?

Since this probably isn’t the best approach I have the option of dropping the exhaust pipes so I can see into the hole. My other thought / question is if I were to take off the trans pan itself does this offer any better access to the cable connection to remove and to reinstall? I wouldn’t mind getting a look inside the trans / filter etc and installing a new pan gasket but if unless the removed pan offers a significant benefit for the cable work I’ll probably just drop the exhaust and go through the safety switch hole. Never worked on one of these cable shifters before. Any recommendations?

unnamed-3-jpg.jpg

Park Cable
transzn2a-jpg.jpg

These two links have console shifter information mixed in. Read carefully and several times to understand what you need to do. The adjustment procedures are here also for when you re-install.

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/transtech.html

http://www.1962to1965mopar.ornocar.com/mopar-push-button-transmission-park-cable-tech-tips.html

Those links to “62to65” my browser flags them as not having valid certificates? Are they good/ safe links?

As you look through the NSS hole there is a rod attached to the rooster comb shift mechanism. On this rod is is a wound spring that holds the cable in. The spring has a nub which you press in with a screwdriver to release the cable.

View through the NSS
20220102_233427.jpg

Looking at it from underneath if the pan was off.
20220102_233250.jpg

Screwdriver through the NSS hole to depress it.
20220102_233059.jpg

20220102_233320.jpg

Hope that helps :)

Pull the bolt. Pull the cable out as far as possible and up toward the trans centerline. Slide a thin straight pick in along side the lower side of the cable hole. Walk the pic around the cable. You will feel the retaining spring pictured in post #6. When you do push the pic sideways and pull the cable. It may take you a few tries but you’ll get it.
Doug

As you look through the NSS hole there is a rod attached to the rooster comb shift mechanism. On this rod is is a wound spring that holds the cable in. The spring has a nub which you press in with a screwdriver to release the cable.

View through the NSS
View attachment 1217468

Looking at it from underneath if the pan was off.
View attachment 1217469

Screwdriver through the NSS hole to depress it.
View attachment 1217471
View attachment 1217472

Hope that helps :)

wow, thanks much! Those pics show it nice and clear.

Thanks everyone for the help. I should be able to get this out today.

Some FSM's show going through the NSS hole but you pretty much have to do it by feel on some cars.
Shift cable Removal.jpg

Well got it out. I opted to drop the pan, and I’m glad I did. Not only made the cable removal easier but I can see how everything is set up and works. I also found a mess. Lots of pieces of what looks like old gasket material. Filter had picked up quite a few of them, I’m sure impeding flow. Not sure where the material came from. It’s quite a bit thinner than the pan gasket. Whoever had this apart the last time also gobbled RTV all around the inside of the cable hole, probably because it was leaking, and probably because the O ring was the wrong size…. Looks like it takes a pretty think O ring? Anyone know the size offhand?

Auto Transport Service
Back