• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Early B body value

toolmanmike

Henchman #2
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:58 PM
Reaction score
I need another Mopar like a hole in the head but before I get old enough that they take my license away I would love to own a early B Body. It's on my bucket list. Every time I find one close to home it is always too much money or too ratty to bring home. (I don't need a project)
Here's my last find. Looks pretty solid. 273 under the hood (which I think is cool) and PS/PB.
$20 large is too big I think.
636790041617646776.jpg
636790041841508211.jpg
636790042504668462.jpg

I see the heater is disconnected. Did you check out the front floor pans? A leaking heater core can do a number on them.

I agree $20K is high. The car seems to present itself well. You didn't say how it looked underneath. A relatively clean and solid one like that in the real world should be worth $12-15K in my humble opinion.

One final thought; if you do bring it home, PLEASE change out that plastic fuel filter! I keep hearing of cars burning to the ground because of the plastic ones failing while driving down the road.

How are you determining the heater is disconnected? The heater hose runs on the driver's side on these cars.

I see a dealer sticker in the window so it's automically over priced, for me anyway. If the dealer has it listed for $20 that means they paid $10-12k for it, maybe a little more. Looks like a great original car, power brakes are aftermarket.

But, you said bucket list and time is running out. If you can afford it and it does something for you then who cares. Go for it. If your willing to pay for the car chances are someone else will too when it comes time to sell. Keep in mind, you really can't buy a lot for less than $15k anymore.

You are correct on the heater location. I thought the hose appeared to go up and then loop back down to connect back to the engine. Perhaps it's an illusion. I've done it myself more than a few times with those.

It looks like a decent driver but ultimately nothing special - no BB and no 4-speed... but should be a really nice driver. I would put it around $15-17K If I is as advertised - it seems hit or miss with early B-bods... I'm relatively new to them when I bought my 64 Polara 500 - I'm just glad I bought it when I did

Very nice car. If it were mine I don't know if I could leave it a small block though.

It appears to be in nice shape for the pics posted. I would look at the known trouble spots on these cars, how original it is, and what's been re-worked. Check the cowl, Dutchman panel under the rear window, the rear wheel wells on the quarters, floor & trunk pans. If they are nice, and solid, that's a big part of the asking price, as those repairs aren't cheap. I had a 273 in my '65 Coronet 500, it drove quite well, and it did bury the speedo too...

You can buy mine, 63 Ply. Sport Fury vert.
Factory BB , PS, PB, AC, PW all the bells and whistles, just dont have AC on rt now. Also building a 426 M/W for it. A bit tuned down thou. Highway comp. 10.5 to 1

2_20180406_104516.jpg 1_20160616_083229.jpg 1536196017418_1_20151209_112449-1.jpg 1536196018670_0_20151209_112428-1.jpg

How good is the paint and interior. A good paint job can be 10k plus. Start pricing sheet metal. I have a friend that just bought a very nice 69 428 Mustang. Then cut it up and added aftermarket suspension and a Coyote motor. Why? It was cheaper at $35K than restoring one.
Doug

Nice looking car Mike.

If everything works on the car and it's as solid as it looks, I don't think 20 is that unreasonable. I would definitely go through and under it before making an offer. I would go 18 on it if it checks out and I wanted one.

well, you only get one shot at life....its up to you to find happiness....could very well be the best money spent if it truly will make you happy.....happy people live longer....

How are you determining the heater is disconnected? The heater hose runs on the driver's side on these cars.

I see a dealer sticker in the window so it's automically over priced, for me anyway. If the dealer has it listed for $20 that means they paid $10-12k for it, maybe a little more. Looks like a great original car, power brakes are aftermarket.

But, you said bucket list and time is running out. If you can afford it and it does something for you then who cares. Go for it. If your willing to pay for the car chances are someone else will too when it comes time to sell. Keep in mind, you really can't buy a lot for less than $15k anymore.
The heater hose is doubled back to the water pump! Probably the hot water valve is bad! Pretty common problem!

I have a '63 and bypassed the heater years ago since I only drive it summers. There has been a handful of days a year where I'd like to have the defrost. I bypassed it due to a drip-drip leak in car from the heater control valve. I rebuilt it and couldn't get the damn thing to stop leaking so eventually thought since I drive it summers it's not a huge issue. A fellow member sent me the correct O-ring but haven't worked up the gumption to install it.

I need another Mopar like a hole in the head but before I get old enough that they take my license away I would love to own a early B Body. It's on my bucket list. Every time I find one close to home it is always too much money or too ratty to bring home. (I don't need a project)
Here's my last find. Looks pretty solid. 273 under the hood (which I think is cool) and PS/PB.
$20 large is too big I think.View attachment 692795 View attachment 692796 View attachment 692798
What type filter do you recommend.

$20 large is too big I think.View attachment 692795 View attachment 692796 View attachment 692798
It looks very nice & original, but as many have said, its gotta be rust free for that price with a small block, IMO. Engine abay looks clean, too. But I think there's a dealer markup in the $17k. I got a 64 orig 383 Belvedere a few yrs ago for $17k but its rust free has build sheet & orig certicard. Add another $9 to $10k in shipping, nice seats redone with correct SMS fabric, leaf springs, shocks, new Cragars & tires, weather stripping, heater resto, etc & now rebuilding the 383 with ported 915 heads, etc, I'll be selling it for much more than $17k this summer. So if I were you, I'd go out there & check the 65 for any rust & any other issues. It'd be nice with a stroked 440 or 400. Good luck with your decision.

64 BELVEDERE small front side view.jpg belvedere_tail_lights_on.JPG

It is supposedly a California car and 2 owners. 57,000 miles. Looks like a lot of original paint. I see the heater hose is hooked up in the engine bay photo.
636779860952103445.jpg
636779861150532901.jpg
636790044426444781.jpg
636790042520892566.jpg
636790045722657090.jpg

in the photo its missing its vin tag in the engine bay, maybe that was just for the photo though? idk what that would mean if it was gone either

in the photo its missing its vin tag in the engine bay, maybe that was just for the photo though? idk what that would mean if it was gone either
The vin tag should be on the drivers door hinge pillar. There is a fender tag in the last photo.

Auto Transport Service
Back