• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Easiest way to remove K

99ss

Local time
9:23 AM
Reaction score
What's the easiest way to remove the K frame on the 69 roadrunner 4 speed.... DO I need to even take the tires off?.... LOL

Yep
thank you... no trans under there either

Put the front of the car on jackstands, loosen adjusters and remove torsion bars, pull steering column from steering box, remove upper control arm camber bolts, disconnect front brake lines, remove 4 k member bolts and lower entire front suspension with a floor jack.

Don't forget to remove the shocks and the core support brace....

I'd pop the upper ball joint rather than removing the upper arms at the adjusters. That way you don't trash the alignment - if you had any to start with. The LCA's, brakes and shocks can all go with the K. Pop the roll pin out of the steering coupler (1/4" drift punch) rather than taking the coupler apart. The K will be a little lopsided because of the weight of the steering box so place the jack accordingly.

One more thing I need to caution you about so pay attention. If the rear axle is still in the car, and the rear jack stands are at the front spring hangers, you need to move the stands so they are either on the axle tubes or at the rear bumper, or just set the rear wheels on the ground. Now let me tell you why.

I had my 69 RR in the air with no motor and trans and I was stripping the front suspension out in preparation for detailing. I had the jack under the K ready to deal with the offset weight of the steering box and everything else was disconnected. I'm lying on a creeper, arm extended with impact in hand on the last K bolt and it was a bit of a fight, but coming out OK. At this point I was ready for the K to fall about a foot because things got lopsided so I was out of the way of that. I got to the last thread and then the anticipated BANG as all the stuff hit the ground but what I didn't expect was the car disappeared from view!!! I jumped up and stood back and the front of the car was well over my head!

What had happened was the weight of the Dana 60 took over, and since my rear stands were at the front spring hangers (where I've been putting them for 30 yrs), the rear of the car hit the ground. I was about pissing my pants because I just got it back from the paint guy and expected to see major rear quarter panel damage, but as luck would have it the rear landed on the leaf spring sparing the lower quarter by 1/2". And thank God I was out of the way in case something worse happened. So I'm looking at my car sitting at almost a 45 degree angle wondering what to do. I extended my arm and grabbed the lower rad support and with one arm effortlessly I pulled it down on the front stands. But then what to do now because I was by myself. So I gently let the front up and set it back on the springs while I looked for a counter weight to hang on the rad support, which allowed me to reposition the rear stands. No harm done but if those rear stands had slipped I don't want to think what could have happened. I may not be here to write this.

Auto Transport Service
Back