• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edelbrock STR-15-8 Modifications

Local time
1:47 AM
Reaction score
I have a chance to pick up an Edelbrock STR 15 intake for low deck, and wondering if anyone knows anything about modifing these for better performance? I have heard they will work better on big inch strokers and I would be using it on a 383/496. Ive heard stuff about popsicle sticks, epoxy and jetting. Just a little about the car setup if that helps, 67 Dart, 3.91 gears, manual 727, 2800 stall, and most likely a comp hyd roller 549/.544" lift and 242 intake and 248 exhaust at .050", heads I havent purchased yet but probably victors or trickflows. Will be mostly street use and some 1/4 mile.
I know there are much better alternatives for an intake, but really love the look of a cross ram. Could also use it on a 63 belvedere that I might frankenstein together as a max wedge clone. Any info or suggestions will be appreciated, thanks
$_59 (2).JPG

The old DC manuals have details on their recommendations. No personal experience. Bet it still depends on the carb you use.

the factory carbs were pretty small and jetting specs wouldn't be relevant with the big inches/cam even if you had them. most of those types of intakes had distribution issues of some sort or another. some guys put pop-off valves in them for the inevitable back fire.

you can port them to be equal and do the same as epoxy and popsicle sticks
we even stuck a blower on one- worked great until the backfire
2 AVS
2 TQ
small primaries and big secondaries would be better than a square carb for driving not racing
we ran similar on the Javelin Trans AM car- unfortunately my carb/ tuning expert went to the big pro in the sky
I would not run race car type carbs on the street
plan on doing some tuning

you can port them to be equal and do the same as epoxy and popsicle sticks
we even stuck a blower on one- worked great until the backfire
2 AVS
2 TQ
small primaries and big secondaries would be better than a square carb for driving not racing
we ran similar on the Javelin Trans AM car- unfortunately my carb/ tuning expert went to the big pro in the sky
I would not run race car type carbs on the street
plan on doing some tuning

Really good point, an STR manifold is a quirky race piece, you really know WTF you're doing with it.

You probably can get just as good of performance from either a Edelbrock Torker or Performer RPM or Mopar M-1 with a single Holley. Less complicated, and probably less expensive if you are needing to modify the STR-15. Just a thought.

Hi Allan, stunning manifold the STR-15-8-bbl.

I have one from the late sixties that was used at Weslake Eng. UK, STR-14-4 dominator, for a development 426 race-engine.
They had a few a few 'fuelling issues' which is documented somewhere in the DC world?
The Weslake/Edelbrock intake was highly modified for the Ovalport heads that were on that engine.

I can show some pictures of the 'internal dams' that were fitted at that time.

The gasket in the last picture is from a W2 set-up, about 25% smaller than the W1 bigblock heads/intake.

The Mopar M1 manifold looks PUNY next to this Edelbrock beauty lol...:wtf:

Ovalport 440 heads and rockers.jpg 2014-11-14 11.35.21.jpg STR inners (2).jpg STR Domi with M1.jpg Ovalport STR manifold underside pic.jpg Str next to W2 gasket.jpg STR V M1 PLENUM.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the info. I also have another set-up that may work good. A Spreadbore top plate and kinda rare 1000 cfm Thermoquad (4847SA)
s-l1600.jpg
4847SA 1 - Copy.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back