• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Edlebrock RPM Heads on Stock Engine Questions

There really is nothing to seal up a slight imperfection w a cometic or a steel shim. So if either is assembled dry I think it's asking for trouble unless you really have a nice surface on the head and block...now if you coat it w copper coat?...have not tried it yet with a cometic. It has worked on the steel shim type. But cometic's are somewhat complicated compared to the oem shim. Probably hard to reuse again once copper coated. But Certainly I think there is more room for imperfections if you coat them.

If the op wanted to use a thinner shim or cometic I would coat the engine surface and not the head with copper kote. But...again I don't think that the little bit of compression is worth the risk if the block is not being decked.
You are probably right, I'd use the Fel Pro .039 gasket too. And if it was mine, I'd deck the block too, just so it was square.

The engine is in the car.
If it was out of be taking the stroker route.
I think my goal is just to get me back on the road this year without any oil leaks or vacuum leaks since the bolts are stripped on the heads. Something I didn't know when I purchased the car.

Last edited:
The engine is in the car.
If it was out of be taking the stroker route.
I think my goal is just to get me back on the road this year without any oil leaks or vacuum leaks since the bolts are stripped on the heads. Something I didn't know when I purchased the car.
Your most of the way there for a cam change. Just do it. :thumbsup:

We've been running the .021" steel shim gaskets with Eddy RPMs at 10-1 measured compression for 4 years. Hundreds of strip passes. No issues.
Doug

The Hughes Whiplash cam looks good & the kit does too. If your ignition is real good I doubt you need the Petronix. But quality ignition is very important.

its stock with aftermarket springs.

If your ECU works up to the RPM you want, fine. The stock electronic distributor will do just fine, the MP version is slightly better. The light springs may work well. I still run an early '70's electronic Hemi tach drive distributor. It was still firing with my MSD 404BC at 8400 RPM until the valve train gave up the ghost.

And what about push rods? Not included in set. Will the stock ones work? I kind of think not.

And what about push rods? Not included in set. Will the stock ones work? I kind of think not.
Yes they should work. Check them as you install.
Last set I put on a 440 the original pushrods were perfect.

I thought with the additional lift from the Whiplash the pushrod may have to be a different length. I don't think I'll need the springs in the kit either. The Eddy springs in the RPM's are supposed to be good up to .600. I guess we'll see... by next weekend I should have everything. I'm sure a million more questions on the way! Thanks guys!

Last edited:
My opinion the EDE springs are marginal. A single spring with fairly good pressure. I remain a dual spring guy. Replaced mine really quick.

Dual springs are better in every way but price.

Stock pushrod length should fit. Your likely going to find out what a bent "stock" pushrod looks like. They weren't designed for. 540 lift with a 340lb spring.

The stock electronic ignition is fine if its in good shape. We run several original chrysler distributors and just use it as a trigger for a msd 6al. No issue to 8500 rpm. The timing does flutter a tiny bit.

Back when we had a turbocharged 318 in our 72 satellite it had orange box and stock distributer. It never missed a lick while doing a burn out with the stock 7.5k+ tack pegged in drive:eek:. Not sure how many rpm it was running, but the car had 3.23 and the 150 mph speedometer was past the odometer and bouncing against the peg. It never missed once for what seemed like a eternity. I let up when the tires came apart about 400 ft later. Black marks were so dark they remained till they redid the highway....the good old days when we didn't have all this traffic and cell phones.

Last edited:
What about the retainers? I don't think it's part of the kit and the eddys come with 7's.
It also states, "To use valve springs HUG 1128 the cylinder head must be machined at the spring base and the guide must be cut for positive type seals"
Do the Eddys come that way?

Last edited:
Hug 1128 is overkill. I would suggest going with the ones in the kit. If you want a double we typically would match up closer to what is recommended but from another brand like Comp cams. We run about 90% of the spring pressure over the nose of a single spring w the double but with the same seat pressure.

The positive seals and cutting for installed heights is for a original iron head. Edelbrocks should be ready to go.

I wouldn't worry about the 7 degree retainers. At least for the edelbrocks.
Run them

Last edited:
The Whiplash Cam is out of stock and has been for months! :cursin:

The only place that I would trust w what is on hand is Summit. Jegs, mancini and Hughes do not accurately represent "In stock".

A lunati 703 is going to be hard to find as well. You will likely have to wait for it to be ground.

Comp 268xe is in stock at Summit. Not all bad...Run the edelbrock springs. I would not buy the comp lifters. Possibly hughes has lifters?

Imho...whiplash and power brakes is a iffy combo. Be fun accelerating not so much stopping.:eek:
Flat tappet availability getting worse.

Last edited:
How about the Lunati Lifters? Looks like I can get a cam/lifter combo.

Last edited:
We put a lunati 704 voodoo cam and lifter package in a while back. They looked ok, had a real snap ring. But other guys have ran into issues...so.. it's taking a bit of a chance. For sure Look them over good.

Comp cams and lunati are owned by the same parent company.

Heard back from the machine shop already, the said everything looked good, except one of the heads wasn't complete flat so they took off .005 and put on vitron seals instead of the Teflon because Vitron seals hold up better.

Does this seem to make sense? Should these heads preform better without even the cam? They charged me $400.00 for 3 hours work.
They also ported out something? Cant remember? the bowls?

I've been buying everything from Summit. They seem reliable and quick.

Auto Transport Service
Back