• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric choke on an AV2 explanation

zyzzyx

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:51 AM
Reaction score
Hello all, I've been looking and can't find the answer to my question. I have a new AVS2 800 cfm Edelbrock with an
electric choke. Everyone states to get the power from a "key on" ignition source. O.K., I get that, but when you supply
power to the choke coil continuously, what turns off the power???? Is the coil continuously being heated while you drive
the car for hours???? I've never had an electric choke, and was under the impression that I needed a switch in the circuit.
No one is explaining this part anywhere. So just wire it to ignition on and forget it? Thanks! Couldn't find any "Electric
Chokes For Dummies" books.

Thanks for asking this question! I run AVS2's on both my cars. I'm also interested in replies. I wonder the same thing.

As far as I know, your assumption is correct. I have the same carb on my Roadrunner, and an older Edelbrock w/electric choke on a Dodge truck and I have them wired to the ignition circuit. Just seemed to be the easiest. ruffcut

Who needs a choke plate LOL

Honestly I pulled mine out of my AVS2 800

We in the colder climate need them for obvious reasons.

I bought an avs2, awesome carburetor!

But I bought the manual choke version for simplicity, but I live in Texas so it never gets used

Does the coil get hot enough with engine heat to keep the choke open? I should experiment.

Think of it this way

The thermo spring when cold , pulls the choke plate closed - No power

As the thermo spring heats up with 12v-15v power from a switched ignition source , it stays open correct along with the operating temp of the motor

If you where driving around town , stop light to stop light , and the engine was at operating temp

And you no longer had that switched 12v-15v going to the electric choke thermostat spring

What would happen with your choke plate as you pull up to say a stop light
Your engine would bee operating pretty rich wouldnt it

Last edited:
The choke opens in a regulated fashion has its heated by 12v power. Thus, need for power at start through early run time. I believe then that the engine temp keeps it open more than the power fed to the choke to heat the spring. This is why if you don't hook up power to the choke, it will eventually open ..... just not soon enough and it will run rich until engine heat takes over. Technically you could switch the choke power off at that point, but there is no need to.

Yes, the choke coil constantly has power. Depending on the spring, some types could close while driving if power was switched off. It doesn't draw a lot of current. Nothing to worry about.

but when you supply
power to the choke coil continuously, what turns off the power???? Is the coil continuously being heated while you drive
the car for hours????
Does your exhaust-heated choke constantly being heated while you drive ? Think about it.

Thanks Guys! One of those things that are never explained fully. I knew that I wasn't the only one wondering abot that.

Just hook up the choke to keyed power and set the choke with one pump before you crank the engine. It will start immediately and open when warm. The Edelbrock electric choke works pretty well, but I don't use a carb choke even if it's cold. It would have to be 20f or something for me to have trouble starting with a brawler 950 and it will eventually start just not as quickly as with a choke.

I put a timer on mine from a later model 360. It's secured to one of the intake bolts.

1681084826996.png

Choke control unit similar to this.

Here is the one I used. It opens the circuit after a while so there is no voltage at the choke when not needed.
1681085918897.png

power is constant with engine running. this keeps the spring coiled so the choke blade stays open. at the bottom of the chock housing there's a small hole that connects to manifold vacuum that keeps the choke parts cool. without air running thru the mechanism the plastic parts would melt.

I have an illogical hatred of "automatic" chokes of any sort. If I get a car that has one operational on it, I
dismember it; none of my new/different carb installs have ever involved hooking a choke up as part of the
process, either.
I've never found myself lacking for want of one, either. Even Fred has started and idled near 0*F with a
little babysitting, like all my older cars over the years.

I'll use mechanical chokes on small engines to get them started (generator, chain saw, etc.) but that's it.

The hole in the choke that goes to man vacuum is designed via the linkage to open the choke blade if the driver gives the engine a lot of throttle while warming up. If the choke didn't open, the engine would stall.

Auto Transport Service
Back