• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric fuel pump mounting help

0203131657.jpg
I'd mount it on rubber right where you 1st picture shows next to the cell. Its low enough to be gravity fed and close so it doesn't have to pull.
Doug

Doug that is a great looking truck layout. I agree that the closer to the fuel cell the better. I thought he was worried about a leak. That's why I said to put it up by the shock cross frame.

Do you have a rear firewall installed? Pretty sure you’ll need one to pass tech with the fuel system inside the car.
Anything you can do to make your car more like Doug’s is a good thing!

Here’s my mount up in the shock tunnel. Hard to see, but this is mounted front side of the tunnel, passenger side. The line that runs below and around the pump setup is the bypass line with the check-valve. The mechanical pulls around the electrical pump through that line, but when the electric is on, the check-valve keeps it from pressurizing back upstream. It’s rudimentary, but it works.

BB42E008-7495-485B-8A87-8586E3D46840.jpeg

Do you have a rear firewall installed? Pretty sure you’ll need one to pass tech with the fuel system inside the car.
Anything you can do to make your car more like Doug’s is a good thing!

Gary no firewall yet this is preplanning for me to switch the car over from small block to big block.. the weather is changing now I can go in the garage and tinker a little bit

Mine is also in the trunk. It is slightly lower than the cell since I have the cell mounted up on 2" risers. I have a rubber pad between the pump and trunk pan. Also have an 1/8" alum plate mounted from underneath that bolts thru everything in case of an accident the pump does not rip through the floor and go flying or cause a spark.

20160702_220108.jpg

Is that up front on the right side
Yes, front of the shock tunnel, right up against the frame rail on the right side. It’s hard to tell in that picture, but the fuel line that runs forward (down in the picture) is actually right up against the frame rail.

I have my Holley black pump mounted right in front of my stock tank so its right near the sending unit. Its not lower then the tank as its kinda even with it but it has worked fine like that since 2003. And since its a street car with a stock tank its really no where lower then the tank to mount it where I feel its safe. Ron

Here's some pictures of what I ended up doing on the Dart. I welded a fab'd up bracket in front of the spare tire tub. Another idea to work from.

IMG_0266.jpg

Fuel cell base, can see the fuel line that will attach to the cell.
IMG_0280.jpg

Fuel line exits the spare tire tub on the left side.
IMG_0278.jpg

On the left frame rail I installed a fuel shut off and filter.
57290190828__055622C5-D888-414D-9168-8570DF345799.JPG

And a shot of the pump in place. I raised the spare tire tub so it's 3" higher up, which makes the pump look lower.
IMG_0316.jpg

Thanks guys for some ideas about mounting my fuel pump.. Big Al did you have to cut a hole for the return line on your Mallory pump

Good question. I don't remember if there was a body plug there before or not. I think there may have be been one and I enlarged it, the other 2 hoses are the vents. Sorry for the bad quality. For some reason the picture quality is reduced when I upload the pics.

Good question. I don't remember if there was a body plug there before or not. I think there may have be been one and I enlarged it, the other 2 hoses are the vents. Sorry for the bad quality. For some reason the picture quality is reduced when I upload the pics.
.....No problem I have a Mallory 250 and was thinking about mounting it that way but I need to get over the fact that I'm going to have to cut the car up some if I want to build it like the vision I have for it

Bend a U bracket 4 or 5" wide with 2 studs for fuel pump mount. Removed tank and braised bracket to top and bottom toward passenger side of tank. Didn't blow myself up. Just make sure you have room. Mine is a 66 Satellite. Won't work on 62 to 65 b bodies no room.

Auto Transport Service
Back