• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric Fuel Pump Woes

ykf7b0

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
3:32 AM
Reaction score
I have a street/strip 440 with 175 hp shot of nitrous and I'm having trouble finding a reliable, quiet, and performance electric fuel pump. On two different occasions I have used Mallory Comp 140's, and also tried two different Carter 4106's. I have a return system in place and the pump is mounted externally. I would like real life experiences with pumps approaching at least 650 engine horsepower please. Again, this is a street car with mufflers and the engine is making over 500 hp without the 175 hp shot of nitrous.

Quiet and electric fuel pump cannot be used in the same sentence unfortunately.
Maybe get an in tank one?

Lots of flow, and (sorta) quiet, means a gerotor pump to me. I have had great service from a Mallory 250 deadheaded. I bought mine for about $75. Now they are over $600. Ran nines in an n/a small block with mine. I'm pretty sure it can support 700 hp. It was quite a bit quieter than a vane pump too.
If I were doing it again? I would probably go with the holley gerotor. (Holley wants to sell holley pumps, that's why the Mallory is $$$.)

Maybe a little late to the party....?
I run this one. Noise is low, flow is excellent.
Holley 12-801-1 - Holley Red Electric Fuel Pumps.
20190424_173024.jpg

Do you have a photo of your installation? (how is the pump fed)

If I was you and noise was a concern, I would run a pump from the main tank sufficient to support just the engine itself.

Additionally I would install a small stand alone cell/pump combo filled with race fuel to supply the nitrous system.

So, only flowing the additional 175hp worth of fuel when needed and in a safer manner.

I would agree with IMTMD8. My intention was
to bring your attention to the brand.

Attachments

• holleyfuelsystems_chart.pdf
    360.3 KB · Views: 101
Do you have a photo of your installation? (how is the pump fed)

If I was you and noise was a concern, I would run a pump from the main tank sufficient to support just the engine itself.

Additionally I would install a small stand alone cell/pump combo filled with race fuel to supply the nitrous system.

So, only flowing the additional 175hp worth of fuel when needed and in a safer manner.

I have recently plugged a vacuum port on my regulator that was in use with the Mallory pump but I capped it off after installing the most recent Carter 4106 and it seems to be performing well and holds my 6.5 psi setting. This pump isn't very loud and I am pleased. I contemplated installing a stand alone fuel management system 20 years ago when I was a legal and regular strip racer but never followed through with it. This car is mainly a weekend cruiser now and sometimes my Sunday church ride. I keep the nitrous kit functional and always have a fresh bottle just in case..................

Auto Transport Service
Back