• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electric fuel pump

mikeyfrano

Local time
2:22 PM
Reaction score
if I hook my electric fuel pump to my coil will it start n stop with the ignition being turned on and off? sorry when I work on cars good things don't normally happen but I have a car show in my home town tomorrow and I would like to go to it with my car otherwise I would wait to take it to my mechanic. thanks for the help.

Hook it to your ignition switch....NOT the coil! Better yet, hook it to a separate switch....

I want to keep the wires under the hood. are you saying I should hook it up to the starter switch
relay?

I just want it to run when the key is on

- - - Updated - - -

sorry about the ignorance about what to hook it to, if it was my old slantsix Dart I would be trying to get it working by just trying different things. But this is my GTX that I just got running last yr and I don't want to mess this car up. thanks for any and all the help.

I ran mine w/ a toggle switch w/ an inline fuse holder w/ some thick-ish wire

Same here! But to those who don't like switches, wire in a standard relay off your ignition so pump goes on with key on and goes off with key off. Using a relay with its own power source from battery will ensure solid voltage to pump.

My fuel pump pulls 8-9 amps and I wired using a 12ga wire. My pump manufacturer suggest 10ga. I would not wire off the coil terminal.

Some will frown on this but using a relay with a battery connection, all you need is a ignition switched power input like radio, cigarette lighter, some fuses in fuse box exc to power the relay to turn on itself. Just make sure you use a volt meter to determine you have a +(positive) wire that is controlled by your ignition switch. Some cig lighters are always powered(don't know if b bodies are or not) To use a standard relay you will need a solid power source(battery) a ground for relay, a ignition controlled power source(radio , ignition itself, exc) and to run relays switched output to the pump.

did you get out of your car and pop the hood and flick the switch every time you shut the car off?

I want to keep the wires under the hood. are you saying I should hook it up to the starter switch
relay?

I have to ask because he never said and how you came up with "Are you saying" because he was pretty direct in his words and explanation of where to hook it up to.
But, how did you come up with that?

Something you might want to consider, is mounting your electric fuel pump near the fuel tank, its the proper way to do it for most situations, its easier for the pump to push the fuel, than it is the pull it all the way from the tank, some pumps will fail prematurely. It's always good to have a cutoff switch inline and mounted with easy access from inside the cab, in case of an accident, you don't want the pump continuously pumping fuel should a line get ruptured, it can still be powered by an ignition source so it comes on and off automatically when the car is/isn't running. Yes, it will require more wiring, but worth doing right the first time. Also, a good idea is to run an inline fuel filter between the tank and pump to prevent rust or contaminants damaging the pump as well. Good luck.

I haven't worked on mopar engines for yrs and its like im starting all over again, so I was asking because im not sure what it is im suppose to hook it to( what the starter switch looks like) yes I figured it out though. been driving a chevy pickup since 2000

I spliced my electric pump right into the ignition side of the ballast resistor with an inline fuse. All located along the firewall. Works just like you want. Key on, pump on, key off, pump off.

Good Luck.
Jim

Auto Transport Service
Back