• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electric weed trimmer?

dla4567

Local time
9:35 PM
Reaction score
I need a new weed wacker, thinking about going electric (40 volt battery).
Anybody have any experience with them? I’m concerned it won’t have enough power.

I have a DeWalt 20 volt and love it. 5AH battery will do most all I need on one charge.

I have an EGO weed eater with 56V I believe. I think this was my 3rd season and it’s been trouble free and works as well as my Ryobi gas ones I had before. I love the automatic string winding feature on it. Just feed the string through the head, even up both ends and push the button and the motor automatically spools it in the head. I got so tired of fooling with the heads and reloading the old ones I was ready to try anything and this saves a lot of frustration. A bit pricy but I have a large yard and it will pretty much last as long as me, and in the rare occasion I didn’t quite finish it on the battery charge, it will charge up fast enough that after a short break that I can finish up.

I inherited Uncle Bill's fairly new DeWalt 20V Max and two 3 amp hour small batteries. It's model DCST920. Plenty of power with 2 speeds. I only use it for grass around the edges of the lawn.

Going electric I recommend choosing a brand and sharing the batteries. For example, leaf blower, string trimmer, edger, etc. Wait for a sale to purchase. Tis the end of the season. Remember the veterans discount when trying to decide whether to purchase online or in store.

Lots of comparisons available on YouTube by folks who know what they're doing and have the resources to compare multiple brands.

Last edited:
I have a garage of Worx 20 volt tools No regrets. All work great.

I have a cheap home depot brand 18v >for three seasons now. Works great.

Several years ago I had a Black & Decker I think 12 maybe 18V, worked fairly well, but fairly short charge life maybe 20-25 minutes. 2-3 hours charge time. The newer stuff should be much better. Got a Craftsman 4 cycle, starts well, not same issues as a 2 cycle.

Bought the Atlas brand 40V wacker from HF. It's been quite good. My old gas wacker quit and would not restart, and got tired of jacking with it. Two full charges does the house, shop and the end of the driveway without issue.

Backpack sprayer once a year. No batteries!

Last edited:
Ryobi 40 volt from Home Depot. 5 years in, and still liking it. The bright green color is ugly, but almost like the Mopar Sublime......

Just bought the dewalt 20amp one and love it esp on a full charge
I think you mean 20 Volt.

I have a petrol (gas) powered weed whacker....I love the noise and I know it upsets the neighbours. If I had to go battery I would follow the advice above and go with my battery system of choice...Makita 18Volt.

I did recently buy the hedge trimmer 600mm (2 foot) hedge trimmer....yet to use it but the reviews are great. I have over 20 Makita battery tools now. Calling it an addiction is close to the truth.

Auto Transport Service
Back