• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical help please

I put it back to the way it was wired before (fixed melted wires) and she runs fine just voltage slowly drops and when the car is running I checked the battery voltage and it slowly went down .01 continuously

Last edited:
When the car isn’t running both alternator and battery are the same, when car is running both are the same and slowly drop

Can I run a wire from my alternator straight to my battery?

Yes but what's the thought process behind that.

Yes but what's the thought process behind that.
To see if my battery charges but I kind of see what you’re saying now when I checked the voltage At the alternator when the car is running it is the same as when it wasn’t running and slowly drops

You should be able to watch Batt voltage with the sniper

What happens if I don’t hook up a field wire?

It will disable the charging system.

If the voltage does not go up, it's not charging.
If it's not charging , the voltage will continue to drop until you've used all the power out of the battery.
Hope this makes sense.

If the voltage does not go up, it's not charging.
If it's not charging , the voltage will continue to drop until you've used all the power out of the battery.
Hope this makes sense.
It does but autozone said my alternator is good

I get how a charging system works but just baffled. Can I go back to a 1 field alternator if I have a electronic voltage regulator and a electronic ignition?

FWIW, post 16 is what my '69 is running with the original harness, along with the P-3690732 constant output VR on a single field alternator.
Using a stock coil, ballast, and basic 4 pin ecu.

So I'd have to say "yes".

1684096599663.png

Factory electronic is a 2 field wire system, and the original regulator is a 1 wire system.

1966 charger with a 383 it has a Holley sniper efi, electronic ignition electronic voltage regulator my ballast has a wire in it connecting for the sniper hot wire. My alternator is a 2 field and it looks like the one brush doesn’t have a rubber o ring under the head of the bolt. My 1 field wire (green) is hooked up to the one with the o ring. My battery reads 12.6 and alternator stud is the same off. When it’s running they still read the same but start to drop .01 continuously the furthest I’ve let it go is to 10. My system is not charging and I don’t know what to do. This is my last hurdle before I can enjoy driving my car

This is my alternator, my green wire goes to the one with the rubber o ring?

2DC87DFB-5812-4F2C-B88B-B12F6411CD69.jpeg

Last edited:
So did you have it wired like in the diagram I gave? And did you modify like Don stated? Or?

Auto Transport Service
Back