• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical help please

Do you have something like this under your hood?

Dual_Field_Alternator_Wiring.jpg

I’m trying not to have to splice into my new harness if possible

Also on my wiring diagram it shows the blue with white tracer and another blue going to voltage reg and the blue wire and brown wire plugs into the ballast resistor?

Follow the how to do the conversation section.
It's an excellent set-up.

Ow I know Todd he is doing my headlight motors and will be doing my dash gauges. He is very helpful and so is Redbeard. They both have helped me a lot!
Glad to read, 12 volt bizz is my least skilled, oops shouldn't even use that term. It is most difficult area of restoring or building new.........Your parts are in good hands :)

I found these at my local autozone and will go get if this will work. I know it’s probably Chinese bullshit but if it works for now I will still order the MOPAR one. I’m sure I’m frustrating with this forum but I just wanna say everyone who has added anything to this forum I truly appreciate your patience Thanks

2B47DC33-919D-4B4E-B540-5BEF313753FC.png

132AD179-CA1A-4504-B8F2-563130388D82.png

I like the license plates too!
The stock early type regulator in the photo of post #20.
When the ignition power is on the green wire from the regulator to alternator should have voltage on it (to energize the alternator field so it makes power when the alternator turns.)
With that setup the other alternator field connection needs to be grounded.

I like the license plates too!
The stock early type regulator in the photo of post #20.
When the ignition power is on the green wire from the regulator to alternator should have voltage on it (to energize the alternator field so it makes power when the alternator turns.)
With that setup the other alternator field connection needs to be grounded.
Thanks, ok I’m just gonna ground the other field but I’m gonna make sure that it’s not energized when she’s runnin. Before I install the new 70’s voltage reg and pigtail I just bought

You have a square back Alternator
Which you already know
I run one because I won a chrome one as a car show door prize
The guy at the American Alternator grounded one of the terminals for me
He removed the electrical spade and replaced it with a piece he already had but it grounded the screw to the case
Now that its on the car you cant even tell its not original
I use an electronic regulator thats made by FBO and designed to look factory stock
I have also used the blue MP piece

You have a square back Alternator
Which you already know
I run one because I won a chrome one as a car show door prize
The guy at the American Alternator grounded one of the terminals for me
He removed the electrical spade and replaced it with a piece he already had but it grounded the screw to the case
Now that its on the car you cant even tell its not original
I use an electronic regulator thats made by FBO and designed to look factory stock
I have also used the blue MP piece
Do you have a pic of your firewall we’re your ballast n regulator is?

I just wanna know my wiring to the ballast and regulator is correct because at first the blue & blue/white tracer plug was on my ballast and the brown & blue wire was on the regulator. My wiring diagram said that was wrong and it should be the other way around so that’s what I did. I haven’t fired it up yet because I’m afraid of burning up the new harness and bulkhead and new dash harness

I certainly do
but know the regulator is electronic but looks OEM
and the Ballast resistor had the resistor removed and was straight wired with a piece of 6 gauge wire
I was interested in keeping the stock look at the time I did all of this but now I am way beyond stock

IMG_20211226_143929573.jpg

I certainly do
and the Ballast resistor had the resistor removed and was straight wired with a piece of 6 gauge wire
I was interested in keeping the stock look at the time I did all of this but now I am way beyond stock

View attachment 1462933
Thanks I straight wired my ballast also for my sniper system. I’m installing electronic regulator and pigtail tomorrow along with a new battery. Will post tomorrow with my results. Thanks again for the pic it reassured me that switching them wires was the right thing to do.

I certainly do

View attachment 1462933
Got a pic of your ride?

Thanks I straight wired my ballast also for my sniper system. I’m installing electronic regulator and pigtail tomorrow along with a new battery. Will post tomorrow with my results. Thanks again for the pic it reassured me that switching them wires was the right thing to do.
If I had it to do all over again I would change the wires and use both fields
but this has been in place for several years and works great
it just isnt worth my time or effort to change something that works so well for me
Perhaps in the future if I have to repair part of it I will make the swap

Auto Transport Service
Back