• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electrical problem

jr64sportfury

Local time
8:57 AM
Reaction score
I was wondering if any one has had a problem with there headlight wiring making the fuse hot in the fuse box, when i turn on my headlights i can smell that hot wiring smell and i was reaching up under the dash i happened to touch the fuse box and one of the fuses was extemely hot, nothing smoking but don't like the thought of hot wiring, wondering if the switch is going bad of the volt limiter on the dash is the problem or maybe look for something else, wiring is original, any ideas??? thanks jr64sportfury

Well, to me it sounds like your running to many amps through the circuit. You should probably pull the fuse and see if it was altered so it wouldn't blow, like the wrapping of tin foil trick, cause if it is that hot it should have blown. On my Dart, when I pulled out the harness for the dash, there was a red 10 guage wire that I found out was the main wire to supply voltage, it was basically melted in several places, so maybe yours did the same and is touching metal, seems it would spark and ground out but I don't know. There is definatly something wrong and I would be worried it would start a fire. That's why I am doing a complete rewire of my car, using Deutsch connectors and 14 guage wire.

Yup, check your wiring and grounds. As these cars get older, the grounds also get worse and worse and usually the cause of most failures.

Auto Transport Service
Back