• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical Problem

kkeennyy

Local time
4:47 PM
Reaction score
1969 R R 440, Coil when sparking starts and runs , but then the coil wont give any spark, then car wont start and run. What can or is the problem, and how do i fix it? Thanks Rich

Original distributor with Points or converted to mopar electronic ignition?

My top picks would be:
1. Check the reluctor pickup coil gap should be .006" I believe, also check the resistance of the pickup coil.
2. Ignition Module (amplifier)
A bad ballast resistor would not come and go as you describe.

Finally it is always a good idea to check your bulkhead connectors.
See below:

Troubleshooting
Troubleshooting an electronic ignition system is fairly simple. Once it has been determined that there is no spark, there are a few quick checks that can be performed to determine the cause. A DC volt/ohm meter can be used to check the continuity of the pick-up coil. It can be checked at the leads as they leave the distributor, or on pins 4 and 5 of the ECU connector. When measuring the resistance across the two leads of the pick-up coil you should see a 150-900 ohm reading. Always flex the wiring leading to the distributor and to the ECU while checking the resistance to be sure that there are no breaks in the wiring. You should also check for 12 volts at pin 1 of the ECU connector when the ignition is in the "on" position. It is also important that the ECU be securely bolted in place and that bolts provide a good ground to the ECU housing. The only other lead that is connected to the ECU is the "-" lead to the coil, which can be checked to insure that it is not broken.

ignit1a.gif

Chrysler Electronic Ignition

The other important component of the electronic ignition system is the ballast resistor. It should be checked with an ohm meter and should have 1.2 ohms of resistance. Typically, a failure of the ballast resistor will result in the engine starting, but then dying as soon as the key is released from the start position. It is often handy to have a spare ballast resistor or ECU lying around to use for troubleshooting.

One more important thing:
Make sure the ECU (amplifier) has a good ground, screws tight scrape a little paint off the firewall and the unit.

For a no-spark condition - check your reluctor gap - ONLY use a brass of plastic feeler gauge NOT ferrous (steel)
Anywhere from 0.008"-0.012" should be close enough for now.

Thanks for your trying to help me, How ever , i have a much bigger problem i think. I have a severe knocking or ticking in my passinger side head, doe`s anyone know someone that lives in or near The Villages Florida, for i need help finding whats wrong or some one that work on my 440 that i can trust. Thanks Rich PS Any one that can help or knows some one in this area that can help me. I need help!! Thanks.

Auto Transport Service
Back