• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

electronic gauges Charger converstion

Charger Phil

Local time
2:46 PM
Reaction score
Has anyone had experiences with the eguagesplus.com. Looking at the option of electronic speedometer (GPS) Have a 66 Charger and about to tackle a new harness for the dash and engine compartment. Now is the time to also deal with the failed guage set.

Thanks,

Charger Phil

Welcome to the forums. You should head over to the Welcome Wagon and introduce yourself and maybe post some photos of your car.

Since you have a 1st Gen Charger with what I think is the most gorgeous dash cluster that Ma Mopar ever produced, you should touch base with @Skatpak who runs Todd's Restorations and maybe get that cluster rebuilt.

Last edited:
Gps speedo is a great idea. One option is the stepper motor from speedtech. Uses gps to drive the original speedo. Works very well. And welcome to forum

Gps speedo is a great idea. One option is the stepper motor from speedtech. Uses gps to drive the original speedo. Works very well. And welcome to forum
As a life long land surveyor that has used survey quality GPS from the start I can assure you that is not anywhere near as accurate as a calibrated speedo. Companies claim all kinds of accuracy that is not even close. And remembering you have to have a line of sight to the satellites they are not going to work under any sort of canopy. Also the government can turn them off like they did after 9/11. It's a neat idea but the execution is not there yet.

Hi Phil, Welcome.. Keep the original gauges. That's one of the most unique aspects of these cars, the gauge cluster. Get in touch with Todd's Restorations. He can completely refurbish& re-calibrate your gauges 66 gauges to like new condition. Nothing wrong with the originals if properly working.
You won't regret doing it.
Todd's Restorations – 66-67 Charger restoration

Last edited:
Speedhut Gauges has done a nice job of mimicking the original gauges. These have a lifetime warranty, come with harnesses and sending units. GPS speedometer is an option.

20220901_135612.jpg

May be functional but appearance of these looks out of place. Too many lines and numbers. Sorry, not for me...

Welcome to the forums. You should head over to the Welcome Wagon and introduce yourself and maybe post some photos of your car.

Since you have a 1st Gen Charger with what I think is the most gorgeous dash cluster that Ma Mopar ever produced, you should touch base with @Skatpak who runs Todd's Restorations and maybe get that cluster rebuilt.
Thanks for the comments. Yes after much homework and digging. (I have owned the car since 2007) I found the repair manual from Duane Pankhurst and my spare gauge set. The power pack was indeed working just shorted out by bad repairs from one of the previous owner. You have to love the detective work of restoration! The gauges were dead. So I am carefully and systematically disassembling and going through gauge faces, indicator hands and gauges. I made the commitment to rebuild the OEM set and restore the dash. New bezels and lenses are on order, and I hope to start reassembly of gauges this weekend. It's not a job for the faint of heart, but compared to my profession, not at all impossible. The Pankhurst manual has been a valuable piece of information. I have attached a few photos of faces cleaned up. I have a full set of working gauge faces at this point. Focusing on gauges and cleaning right now.
Hi Phil, Welcome.. Keep the original gauges. That's one of the most unique aspects of these cars, the gauge cluster. Get in touch with Todd's Restorations. He can completely refurbish& re-calibrate your gauges 66 gauges to like new condition. Nothing wrong with the originals if properly working.
You won't regret doing it.
Todd's Restorations – 66-67 Charger restoration
See my reply. Yup keeping them!

71462158135__D4CCD105-5AFD-43E8-83F4-5FE7CDD178F7.jpeg

71462186034__F0107E31-ADAD-4D77-A1D9-742E6A69B8ED.jpeg

71462231461__14A2CA71-612A-4372-B546-3477B8A8B3A0.jpeg

71469281347__DA1561E1-FC21-4F98-98B5-45023898A4FC.jpeg

Good for you.. it will be worth the effort when you see that gauge cluster lit up.

Good for you, looks pretty nice. Chargersby Jim has wire if you need it. He is in Ocheleta Okla.
he built replicas of the Charger concept cars. Very well known in the 66-67 Charger world.

Thanks for the comments. Yes after much homework and digging. (I have owned the car since 2007) I found the repair manual from Duane Pankhurst and my spare gauge set. The power pack was indeed working just shorted out by bad repairs from one of the previous owner. You have to love the detective work of restoration! The gauges were dead. So I am carefully and systematically disassembling and going through gauge faces, indicator hands and gauges. I made the commitment to rebuild the OEM set and restore the dash. New bezels and lenses are on order, and I hope to start reassembly of gauges this weekend. It's not a job for the faint of heart, but compared to my profession, not at all impossible. The Pankhurst manual has been a valuable piece of information. I have attached a few photos of faces cleaned up. I have a full set of working gauge faces at this point. Focusing on gauges and cleaning right now.

See my reply. Yup keeping them!

View attachment 1515530

View attachment 1515532

View attachment 1515533

View attachment 1515534
Glad you are keeping them. If you have troubles repairing these original gauges Skatpak on here does a good job.

Skatpak

Did you add a RTE Limiter to your fuel gauge?

Finished all the gauge repairs this week. All gauges (calibration checked as well), faces and needles working. Did a test run this evening on the EL operation. Power pack is flaky after running for a few minutes. One is on order. Dash and engine compartment wiring harnesses are next. New faces and bezel in hand!

IMG_9111.jpeg

71548174436__EE1D876D-6A2F-4479-A506-4C699B70AA83.jpeg

Embarrassed to ask. What is RTE Limiter
A type of voltage regulator that will keep your fuel gauge from frying. One of the big problems with the type of fuel gauge the 66-67 Chargers had.

A RTE limiter as far as I understand is an electronic external regulator that prevents an internal failure of the original that was built into the fuel gauge.
Many things happened through the years.
One was to disconnect the wires in the fuel gauge and add an external limiter like many Chrysler products that had oil temp and other gauges .
One of our Chargers had that done in 2006. The Charger we bought in 1970 still has original functioning gauges and EL. I AM NOT A WEALTH OF KNOWLEDGE ON HOW ELECTRONICS WORK by any means.

Auto Transport Service
Back