• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine and trans cooling, hot climate considerations

Potshot

Local time
9:16 AM
Reaction score
I'm making steady progress on the different systems in the car getting ready for the road (67 440 Charger, 60 over). The next thing I'm looking at is cooling. The previous owner lived in the upper Midwest and said that to his recollection (27 years ago), the engine ran hot.

As I try to get in front of any engine temp issues, I'm pulling the pump housing and inspecting it and the pump, and considering my options for cooling. When I pulled the stock, 26" radiator and shroud I noticed the transmission cooling lines at the bottom. This was new to me, first Mopar and all that.

Central Florida gets hot in the summer and I don't expect my weather to help, so what are you other hot-climate people doing for cooling?

Different radiator? Separate trans cooler? If you have part numbers or methods of mounting your solution I'm interested. I'll continue to looking other threads here but appreciate any specific advice

PXL_20211125_192507303.jpg
PXL_20211125_192402150.jpg
PXL_20211125_174950863.jpg

A good radiator and high quality thermostat should be all you need .

Best thing I did to mine to cool it down was a Stewart Components thermostat. No problems since

Do yourself 2 big favors.
DO NOT GET RID OF THE ORIGINAL RAD.
But you can throw that fan in the garbage.
Either a direct drive or clutch fan would be good.

My Coronet has a 440, puts out about 500 hp. Here in the Sacramento region it regularly gets over 100° in the summer (but its a dry heat). Running a Glen Ray copper/brass radiator with a shroud and 7-blade clutch fan and 180° T-stat. Pretty close to what Ma Mopar installed 50 years ago. Driving around the temp stays around 180°; stop n go traffic it climbs to 210°. Glen Ray radiators are a work of art.
The tranny has a 3000 stall converter and Trans-Go shift kit. I installed a B&M deep sump pan; comes with a temp sensor bung. Also have a 6"x10" Derale trans cooler mounted in front of the radiator with the Derale running in series with the rad trans cooler. I installed a trans temp gauge and it ranges between 165° - 180°, climbing to 200° in traffic.
The Dart has a Cold Case aluminum rad (CC is a FBBO sponsor) with shroud and 7 blade fan. It runs cooler than the Coronet. But its a SB 360. Its a manual tranny so no cooler.

Thanks gents. My plan will be to make sure the housing and pump are in good shape, drop a 180 thermostat in and get the rad tested before I fill everything up. I'll deal with any problems after that ...if there are any!

Recommendations for a decent clutch fan? Thanks!

Do yourself 2 big favors.
DO NOT GET RID OF THE ORIGINAL RAD.
But you can throw that fan in the garbage.
Either a direct drive or clutch fan would be good.

Fan clutch and shroud ! Get the radiator flow tested, maybe re-cored....and a good water pump, t-stat...these cooling systems work well

Probably best to put out a wanted post. Someone local to you will have one I'm sure.

Recommendations for a decent clutch fan? Thanks!

CONSIDER TONY'S PARTS. www.tonysparts.com. He is offering 7 blade fans, corresponding clutch units, mounting hardware. Lots of repro parts as well as some good used stuff. Go to the web site, B body look for what ever you need.....
BOB RENTON

Your existing fan would work best mounted into the trash can. If you want to go a little out of the box like I did, here is my setup. BeCool radiator with separate Earls/Mocal coolers in front of it and the condenser. One cooler each for engine, trans and steering. I'm going to enlarge the opening of the front bumper, width wise, so they all have a better shot of air coming across them. They are mounted on the stone shield behind the bumper. I'm planning on track events, auto crossing, some drags and fun driving with my car.

DD147462-DD8A-43E3-99F4-AE6454B573D5.jpeg FB9BCA3A-3595-4C88-9C79-85D490E018EF.jpeg 8712553F-0D33-4EBD-8762-D3AAC8740DBB.jpeg

I agree these stock systems are fine if everything is working properly.
A shroud helps allot at low speeds to pull air through.

Auto Transport Service
Back