• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine decoding help

moparvinson

Local time
6:26 PM
Reaction score
Just picked this motor up from a storage sale. 1969 383 hp complete from intake to oil pan, clean inside and turns over nice for 200.00. Any help on numbers? Thsnks
Screenshot_20210410-175746.png
Screenshot_20210410-175801.png Screenshot_20210410-112806.png

Came out of something that was made in Los Angeles, CA. E383 is '69, can read the HP but your picture is too small to read the date of assembly...

Assembly date looks like 6 19 to me

Your picture is the cast date of the block.
You only have the serial number, you would need the letters prior to the plant to tell what car it was from.
Those are the only numbers on the pad above the oil pan. Would they be somewhere else?

Those are the only numbers on the pad above the oil pan. Would they be somewhere else?
All you can determine from those numbers is it came from a 69 car. It's a HP engine therefore only about two possibilities. 69 Superbee, or 69 RR.

All you can determine from those numbers is it came from a 69 car. It's a HP engine therefore only about two possibilities. 69 Superbee, or 69 RR.
this is the pad above the oil pan I was asking about. Should there be more numbers in front of this?

Screenshot_20210410-175746.png

For a short time in early 1969 model run, the full vin was stamped there. By about January 69, all they put there was year, plant, and six numbers of the vin, 9Exxxxxx. As above said, all you can tell is L.A. built 383 hp, unless you can somehow trace the six digits of the vin.

My 69 charger built in january 20 69 has full vin stamped on pad

as long as the last six are the same as your VIN on the car, you are good.
by the way only some 69 models had 13 digits. most had 8 only.ej
9B100000
sorry, I realized you have engine only, my mistake!

Last edited:
as long as the last six are the same as your VIN on the car, you are good.
by the way only some 69 models had 13 digits. most had 8 only.ej
9B100000
sorry, I realized you have engine only, my mistake!
I already said I quoted the wrong post, I was thinking of one and posted on the other. That happens when a person is working too many hours.

Auto Transport Service
Back