• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine ID

440 4 speed

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
5:40 AM
Reaction score
This is a 10-9-67 Engine D 440.
On the side of the block is A8234751
Behind the oil sender is. A8-7481
I would appreciate someone decoding this. I know more about 67 and earlier motors. I thought the stamping would tel us what the motor came from.
Thanks

Do you have a pic of the stamping behind the op sender? Seems like an odd number to be in that location. Usually something like 8Bxxxxxx

A is the plant code for Lynch Road, so it's from a '68 B-body.
On '68 blocks the last 8 digits of the vin should be stamped by the op sender. Even if it was from a plant other than Hamtramk the 6th digit is the year and 7th is the plant.

I am doing this for someone else who is quite far away. I thought in 68 you could tell what the motor belonged to by the stamping. Will try to get more information. If it is for a b body, does it matter what b body? Thanks everyone.

I am doing this for someone else who is quite far away. I thought in 68 you could tell what the motor belonged to by the stamping. Will try to get more information. If it is for a b body, does it matter what b body? Thanks everyone.
The full vin wasn't stamped until '69. '68 was the year code, plant code then the 6 digit sequence number that matched the vin.

Thank you everyone.
I got the number down wrong. Rechecked my pictures.
Should be 8A234751
Oil sender is 8A2 then a sideways mark3481. Will try to figure out sending photos.

With regard to telling what car it came from, unless you have a build sheet with that sequence number on it, it could have come from a few different bodies. On the raised pad is there HP following the D440?

The engine assembly date is Jan 11th. That VIN would be more inline with a Scheduled Production Date of Feb 5th.

Auto Transport Service
Back