• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Name Question

66plysat

Local time
4:25 AM
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question, I see engines described as.... Wedge, Max wedge, Magnum etc. Could someone explain what they mean and what the differences are, I've never seen an explanation for the names. Please include any I might have omitted. Obviously I know what a Hemi is, but the others I'm not sure, this might help out other Mopar fans that are confused. Thanks

Like HEMI is short for hemispherical combustion chamber wedge refers to the combustion chamber shape. Max Wedge is short for maximum performance wedge head engine. Magnum is just a Dodge trade name for factory high perf. Plymouth used Commando V8 or Super Commando. Ford uses High Performance (hi-po), Cobra Jet, Boss, etc..

Don't forget Poly (polysherical combustion chambers) vs wedge or hemi.
'specially since he's got 66 in his name.

Don't forget Poly (polysherical combustion chambers) vs wedge or hemi.
'specially since he's got 66 in his name.

True, but the factory didn't give them any special name that I'm aware of. It was just a 318.

Thanks for the info, it helps to clear things up. At some point in time when I can afford it, I have a 440 to replace the 318 poly. Unfortunately not a hemi, can't afford that.

Alot of people say that the 440 was a better engine than the 426..Maybe not as high in horsepower but was alot more reliable...Production of the 440 was longer than the 426..
Petty Blue 67 gTx

Like HEMI is short for hemispherical combustion chamber wedge refers to the combustion chamber shape. Max Wedge is short for maximum performance wedge head engine. Magnum is just a Dodge trade name for factory high perf. Plymouth used Commando V8 or Super Commando. Ford uses High Performance (hi-po), Cobra Jet, Boss, etc..

Magnum was also used by Mopar to designate the new small block design 318 and 360s in late model trucks - new heads, minor changed to the block.

What makes a car a commando or super commando, What's the difference. I'm putting a 440 in my '66 Satellite and I'm wondering what that would mean in engine names....like commado, wedge etc.

Plymouth is the Commando Dodge is the Magnum either or could have a wedge motor or a hemi or a poly

440/493 Super Commando
IMAG0561-1.gif

I get that a Commando is Plymouth, now I would like to know what the difference is with Commando and SUPER Commando. What cubic inches are involved?

How about the Golden Commando? I remember the Commando name on Plymouth Fury cars that my dad used to rent for business. Back in the 60's Avis featured mostly Chrysler Corp cars. Hertz was tied in with GM and then Ford. Later, I worked for Hertz and had the pleasure to drive many Ford products including a plethora of Granadas and Monarchs.

The Commando name was a marketing tool along with Magnum. I recall Olds was using Rocket engine at one time and as mentioned Ford hooked up Shelby using Cobra on the High Performance engines along with Boss.

Most engines have wedge type cylinder heads. The Hemi's were awesome during the 60's and Mopar won many NASCAR races with Richard Petty et al campaigning those cars. So much so that Hemi engines were banned from NASCAR in 1965. They came back the following year after some of the winning teams boycotted the series.

Here's a site with regards to "B" and "RB" engines.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Plymouth_Golden_Commando_engine

My 66 Belvedere is a commamdo V8 and that must mean basic 361 2 BBL or maybe 383. Perhaps if it were a 318 or six you would get nothing. Later years the Super Commando came out and that was the HP version like in a GTX or R/T (i.e. Magnum). FYI: I think the 67 Barracuda 383 S was a commando and not super commando. I bet when they opened up the exhaust valve to 1.74 you got the SC name on the HP stuff only.

I get that a Commando is Plymouth, now I would like to know what the difference is with Commando and SUPER Commando. What cubic inches are involved?

Commando was a fairly generic name used for Plymouth engines. Super Commando was used in 67-70 for the HP 440.

Attachments

• 67_Plymouth_commando_800.jpg
    67_Plymouth_commando_800.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 171
Auto Transport Service
Back