• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine ran perfect, plugged carb vac line on back no run

Is it opening fully after a few minutes of running? I'm assuming you're running an electric choke.

Electric choke yes. I can't get it to run more than a few seconds now unless I have throttle mashed to the floor

How about Is it getting fuel? Electric pump, mechanical, If plugs were not wet. Did Supply dry up. As said above Start at the beginning.

Mechanical pump, plenty of fuel I have it drawing from a can resting on bumper

With engine off, If you slowly manually move the throttle a few times keeping the choke plate open, are you getting a steady stream of fuel coming out of the discharge nozzles?

With engine off, If you slowly manually move the throttle a few times keeping the choke plate open, are you getting a steady stream of fuel coming out of the discharge nozzles?
I'm an A hole... Choke was stuck fully closed, timing needed advanced a pinch and idle was all the way down...

I should have bought one with a mechanical choke I will say that

So, it now runs okay?
Yes, runs perfect! I honestly was too frustrated to calm down and just watch the carb but once I walked away for a bit it was quite obvious. And to be honest I'm only going to drive the car in the spring/summer so I might remove the choke anyways

Yes, runs perfect! I honestly was too frustrated to calm down and just watch the carb but once I walked away for a bit it was quite obvious. And to be honest I'm only going to drive the car in the spring/summer so I might remove the choke anyways
If you adjust the choke housing so that it just closes fully cold and the unit is getting power it should function correctly in any season without completely removing it. I know for a fact that mine will not start unless it's fully choked.

I completely remove mine from all my carbs. I don't have any starting issues in the spring and summer here in Colorado.

I completely remove mine from all my carbs. I don't have any starting issues in the spring and summer here in Colorado.
I guess we do whatever works best with each individual engine.

Thats awesome! We all have done something similar (like trying and trying to start a car only to find out the coil isn't connected or something similarly simple).

Thats awesome! We all have done something similar (like trying and trying to start a car only to find out the coil isn't connected or something similarly simple).

Yes, I'm always happy when that's the issue! I'm just beyond delighted that I've ran it 20 mins now and my cam isn't wasted, I musta did something right! Although 5 packs of moly lube on the cam should help that, and heavy oil too. Going to need to do an oil change soon as I have 95-100 psi on the gauge!

When you say you're using heavy oil is it 20w-50? If you're getting that much pressure maybe all you'll need is a 10-30 or 10-40. What type/brand did you use for break-in?

I always use break in oil on all my new engines, usually Joe Gibb racing break in. That engine is going to need to get hot to liquidfy all of the assembly lube and get it so you can run it out. For me, anything about 75 PSI is good generally.

When you say you're using heavy oil is it 20w-50? If you're getting that much pressure maybe all you'll need is a 10-30 or 10-40. What type/brand did you use for break-in?

I used conventional 10-30 with a bottle of 11 oz zinc zddp suppliment and a half bottle of stp zinc additive. It's probably a bit too thick but I was really worried bout the new cam

I used conventional 10-30 with a bottle of 11 oz zinc zddp suppliment and a half bottle of stp zinc additive. It's probably a bit too thick but I was really worried bout the new cam
I used a similar mix for break-in and as soon as that was done, dumped it and been running Valvoline VR1 10-30 ever since.

I used a similar mix for break-in and as soon as that was done, dumped it and been running Valvoline VR1 10-30 ever since.

I'm thinking after another ten mins I'll dump it and put thinner in. Just wanna be super safe! Now if I can just find the correct upper radiator hose for.my charger, I'll be happier!

I'm thinking after another ten mins I'll dump it and put thinner in. Just wanna be super safe! Now if I can just find the correct upper radiator hose for.my charger, I'll be happier!
Have you checked out Mancini for your hose? They had the correct restoration hose I needed for mine.

I saw year one and they want $79 bucks... I love my car but that not much! Haha. I'll check them out too
Have you checked out Mancini for your hose? They had the correct restoration hose I needed for mine.

Auto Transport Service
Back