• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine Rebuild & Install Cost

oxytousc

Local time
8:29 AM
Reaction score
I'm getting quoted $10k to rebuild my existing engine and install it. I think that seems stupid high, but someone tell me otherwise. It's a 408 stroker currently, which got fraged by debris. I expect that they're reusing the heads, intake and accessories.

It is alot of work to do that job, does it have any warranty with the job? You pay for that also.
Sounds in Line.

what do you think they should charge you?

Prices have not gone down the past 22 months.

Well, I can get an entirely new crate engine with all the accessories for $10k with at least all of the options. I'd have thought $1-2k for install on a crate.

This place was reusing my pistons and other parts, so I'd have thought $6-7k.

Shop around. About the only time I’d re-use pistons is if they were forged and didn’t have collapsed skirts and measured out ok And I couldn’t get new ones for one reason or the other.

That number feels like a punch to the face at first thought.
Labor is a huge part of that though.

This is my build thread....

Re-Rebuilding the 440-493 in a 1970 Charger

It is long and there are many tangents where it goes off topic.
I have yet to itemize everything but I'm around $3000 to $3500 to rebuild the short block. The heads were fine and I reused a known good cam and lifters. I did all the work myself except the machine work.
It isn't just the physical act of rebuilding the engine that takes time. It is everything around it. Saving and cleaning fasteners, brackets and other parts. Properly marking, saving and reinstalling wiring, hoses, sending units, starter-alternator-water pump-fuel pump, etc. Oil, ATF, P/S fluid, anti freeze, A/C recharge if it was disconnected, etc.
They have to add in a measure of $$$ to cover their labor costs in the event of any warranty work as well.
Good luck to you. A fresh engine is a great thing.

The motor literally has like 200 miles on it. They were forged. Issue is apparently the head gaskets were toast from who knows why (this thing has sat for years after the motor was installed) and when they drained the oil they got a bunch of metal coming out and coolant.

That number feels like a punch to the face at first thought.
Labor is a huge part of that though.

This is my build thread....

Re-Rebuilding the 440-493 in a 1970 Charger

It is long and there are many tangents where it goes off topic.
I have yet to itemize everything but I'm around $3000 to $3500 to rebuild the short block. The heads were fine and I reused a known good cam and lifters. I did all the work myself except the machine work.
It isn't just the physical act of rebuilding the engine that takes time. It is everything around it. Saving and cleaning fasteners, brackets and other parts. Properly marking, saving and reinstalling wiring, hoses, sending units, starter-alternator-water pump-fuel pump, etc. Oil, ATF, P/S fluid, anti freeze, A/C recharge if it was disconnected, etc.
They have to add in a measure of $$$ to cover their labor costs in the event of any warranty work as well.
Good luck to you. A fresh engine is a great thing.
It's a punch in the face because it was a fresh engine. Part of me feels like I should just walk away from this money pit.

What's the reason for not doing some/all of the work yourself? There are plenty of reason not to do it yourself but cutting costs say pulling the engine out will save money. Other things help depending on your skills. A service manual is a Big help you can download one, see link. They have them for many cars. On a phone they're hard to use but I-pad or laptop work well.
Scroll down when you go to link. Service Manuals – MyMopar

What's the reason for not doing some/all of the work yourself? There are plenty of reason not to do it yourself but cutting costs say pulling the engine out will save money. Other things help depending on your skills. A service manual is a Big help you can download one, see link. They have them for many cars. On a phone they're hard to use but I-pad or laptop work well.
Scroll down when you go to link. Service Manuals – MyMopar
I've got four little kids under 5 and no time.

They will be putting their name on it. Doesn’t matter it has 200 miles, it’s a problem child and everything needs checked out, measured, magnafluxed, etc. lots of time To make it a turn key car again.

They are in this for a profit, not a favor or to break even.

There's a lot more to this story. Head gaskets don't just go. If you don't really know the root cause, and you don't want to do the work youself to figure it out, get the crate motor. Otherwise you could spend the 10K and the problem is not fixed.

I know no ones lookin for my two cents here, but I would have no interest in this hobby if I wasn't the one who will pull the motor myself, find the root cause myself, work directly with my personal machinist to create the build with my direct guidance, assemble it myself and then install it. That's just me.... if the OP's worried about $10k,,,...just imagine what college for four is gonna cost in just 12 very very short years...
Best of luck.

Today's $, 4 years, room/board/tution - half million.

200 miles & there's metal in the oil....What failed? Cam? Bearings? What has the metal embedded itself into? Re-use pistons? Probably not.... Go through it & be responsible if it fails again? Pass... I wouldn't want to touch it... 10K ain't enough...

That seems high to me, but I don't live in in CA.
I might be reasonable depending on what all they do and if they have some warranty?
Would need alot more information, but you could always get quotes from other shops.

I'm not sure how they can just throw a number out there without some investigation........ should be more like, "we'll pull it out and get it apart for X, and go from there"

.......that covers everyone's ***

What kind of car are you working on?

Auto Transport Service
Back