• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine starting problem

benno440

Local time
12:13 AM
Reaction score
Hey guys,
my 68 charger 505 BB wont start.

everything has been good was driving around yesterday no problems, I was asked to take a girl to her formal today and when I left to go get her I go thalf way up the road and the engine shut off.
it has fuel and the starter goes fine, so I pulled a plug out and sat it on the valve cover and there was no spark.
I checked all my wiring and all seems okay.
it has a msd 6al ignition, blaster 2 coil and pro billet distributor, new wires and spark plugs, has a full ron francais rewire.

could a ignition box or coil just die?
Is there a way to check this?

open for any ideas before I call an auto electrician

thanks guys

Is the ballast resistor bypassed and if so how? If you jumped the connections, did it come apart?

I don't know if the 6al will just die but the coils can.

Good luck, I hope you get it! Keep us posted

there is no ballast resistor on my car, it has a ron francais fuse block,
is there a way to check if your coil is dead?

with ignition on run the coil should get warm.....not to say its completely working but it gives you an idea ... it could be the guage wire .. it is just a little wire and takes all current from alternator and if it goes so does all your power... lastly it is likely the connection in your bulkhead... off top of memory it is the J or P connection

For good measure do the free and easy stuff first. Check battery connections. I know you said it spins. The bulkhead connector - disconnect all of them and spray with electrical contact cleaner till they run clean. Re-assemble. Nothing to lose.

Take a multimeter and see if you have voltage at the coil positive when the key is turned to start. If you do, then go down the line and check each plug wire for spark.

I figured the ballast was gone, but I have actually seen it still in the mix after a rewire and or MSD. I thought I would check and go free and simple. You never know. Good luck!

That happened to me tonight. While driving the '67 Coronet home it just quit running. I was waiting for the hook to come and I thought I would check voltage at the coil. There was 12v. at the coil so that led me to believe the coil was bad. Brand new E-core coil. Ran about a week.

good to know, I am thinking it is the coil as well
is there an actual practice to do to check if it is bad or not? I will check the power but if that's all good, what next?

only things it could be on my car is:

*faulty coil
* faulty ignition box
* something wrong with distributor
* broken wire

All my fuses are good and I have good battery power, everything electrical works but wont fire.
I wouldn't think all my plugs could go bad at the same time.

Use a multimeter to check the resistance of the coil. Msd should have a spec for the blaster 2, set your meter to resistance and clip to the terminals to measure ohms. The reading won't be steady unless you use clips, probes won't work.

Auto Transport Service
Back