• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Engine swap resource

Lebete

Local time
11:24 AM
Reaction score
Wondering if any of you fine gentlemen know if a good resource book for Mopar engine swaps. I have a 318 and would like to go with a big block, but want to know what I’m in for with belts, pulleys, linkages so on.

Thanks in advance.

I don't know of a resource but I think if you state more detail of what you are trying to do this site is all you need...really need what year of car? what 440 came out of? what accesories you are wanting to run w the bb? A lot of cars came with 318s and 440s had several variations.
440 source has a lot of parts that will help in the swap. They have pulleys and accessory brackets available. 440 source actually is a great resource!
On any swap if you are going from a sb to bb..you will need motor mounts, if going to a 727 from a 904 you shorter driveshaft and the 727 slip yoke, upgraded radiator, accessory brackets, etc.

Last edited:
I don’t have a motor yet. I’d like to run a 383. My car does not have A/c and currently a 904 auto. I’d like to also switch to a torque filight.

I took a look at 440 source. The sell a front end kit with ps for 500$ seems like a heck of a deal. I’m assuming if it’s Bb it’s interchangeable 383-440. But I can ask them.
I don’t have a motor yet. I’d like to run a 383. My car does not have A/c and currently a 904 auto. I’d like to also switch to a torque filight.

What car are you doing?
They made a lot more 383s then 440s. Rv 440s are a common find.
383 really isn't much different then a 440 in terms of accessories they are identical.
Heads,oil pan, water pump housings interchange. 440 has a wider intake manifold.

Last edited:
Make sure the 727 you get is actually for a big block.

find a big block donor car of any model...... a clapped out C body could offer almost everything you need for cheap

Car is a 69 satellite sport convertible. I’ve been looking for donors, but most are trashed and still want couple grand at least. So that’s part of why I’m asking this is to understand just what the cost impact would be. Before I go off buying things that will sit forever cause I didn’t do my research. It’s a bad habit of mine.

Car is a 69 satellite sport convertible. I’ve been looking for donors, but most are trashed and still want couple grand at least. So that’s part of why I’m asking this is to understand just what the cost impact would be. Before I go off buying things that will sit forever cause I didn’t do my research. It’s a bad habit of mine.
If you think 2 grand for a doner car is a lot just wait to you add up the bill buying everything separately. Keep looking one will show up cheaper.

A 69 satellite has the same cross member for a sb or bb so that is a good start. All you need is motor mounts for bb which were the same 66-72. Buy used or go to mancini racing or 440 source.

I would get the pulleys and alternator and power steering brackets from 440 source and run a Saginaw pump. Other pump options include a Federal or a TRW. You may be able to convert the sb pump and change the mounting brackets...but it can be a challenge getting it pieced together! New is nice.

The bb water pump housing can have a left or right suction. Make sure you get a radiator that matches. Original style was driver side. But either can be made to work.

The bb 727 kick down you also need to find (probably used) or go with a valve body that doesn't use the linkage. You can also buy a new cable instead of linkage.

Driveshaft will have to be shortened or a new one. Get a Slip yoke for the 727 that fits your driveshaft.

Torsion bar you can upgrade to handle the weight or use aluminum parts on the engine. Can always give the bars a little more twist.

Oil pan that comes with the bb may or may not work..but lots of options from 440 source or mancini.

Last edited:
A 69 satellite has the same cross member for a sb or bb so that is a good start. All you need is motor mounts for bb which were the same 66-72. Buy used or go to mancini racing or 440 source.

I would get the pulleys and alternator and power steering brackets from 440 source and run a Saginaw pump. Other pump options include a Federal or a TRW. You may be able to convert the sb pump and change the mounting brackets...but it can be a challenge getting it pieced together! New is nice.

The bb water pump housing can have a left or right suction. Make sure you get a radiator that matches. Original style was driver side. But either can be made to work.

The bb 727 kick down you also need to find (probably used) or go with a valve body that doesn't use the linkage. You can also buy a new cable instead of linkage.

Driveshaft will have to be shortened or a new one. Get a Slip yoke for the 727 that fits your driveshaft.

Torsion bar you can upgrade to handle the weight or use aluminum parts on the engine. Can always give the bars a little more twist.

Oil pan that comes with the bb may or may not work..but lots of options from 440 source or mancini.
Thanks for that. It gives me a pretty good idea of all what I’ll need. And the number of internal organs I’ll need to sell in the black market to get them. Knew I should have treated that liver better.

Auto Transport Service
Back