• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Etymology......

Cranky

Banned Henchman #27
Staff member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
12:53 AM
Reaction score
When were carbs called 'jugs'? As a kid, jugs were....well, boobs. Not sure if this applies but what the heck is the difference between Watson and Ohio flames?? And seems like the names of other things are changing faster than cars are changing (or not) body styles!

When were carbs called 'jugs'? As a kid, jugs were....well, boobs. Not sure if this applies but what the heck is the difference between Watson and Ohio flames?? And seems like the names of other things are changing faster than cars are changing (or not) body styles!
1699660090410.png

i-dont-know-smiley-emoticon.gif
Never heard that one before.

We used to call the throttle body on the Super Comp a toilet bowl.

Never heard carbs referred to as jugs.

Only heard jugs for air-cooled VW & Porsche engines.
shopping.jpeg

I remember as a kid at the track (West Coast, Fremont IIRC)
a guy with 6 Strombergs' referring to them "as 6 jugs"
it was on a pretty rowdy SBC IIRC
I didn't get the lingo very well, I asked my stepdad, he said the same thing
it/he was referring to the carbs, didn't hear it very often
that was probably in around/about 1967-69-ish (? my best guess) sometime

I do want to commend you for using the word "etymology" instead of "entymology". It bugs me when people use the wrong one.
:p

I remember as a kid at the track (West Coast, Fremont IIRC)
a guy with 6 Strombergs' referring to them "as 6 jugs"
it was on a pretty rowdy SBC IIRC
I didn't get the lingo very well, I asked my stepdad, he said the same thing
it/he was referring to the carbs, didn't hear it very often
that was probably in around/about 1967-69-ish (? my best guess) sometime
I never heard it at all until recently....must have been a west coast thing....?

I do want to commend you for using the word "etymology" instead of "entymology". It bugs me when people use the wrong one.
:p
**** I dont even know what etymology is more less entymology! A jug to me is a gas can or a 34kv post insulator.

Never heard that before.
Heard it when referring to the individual blocks on a tractor engine. For instance, a MM 4cyl. from the 60's has two blocks with 2 pistons in each. The 6 cyl adds another. They bolt on top of the crank housing/main engine block. people rebuild them, find a "bad jug" and look for a replacement or maybe swap to an older late 50's jug and use the smaller piston size to go with it just to keep the tractor alive.

With how things are nowdays, some nitwit may have heard the word and used it wrong on social media, and suddenly all the sheeple are spreading the slang error like wildfire.

I think it was '50's/early '60's thing. It might have been West coast thing. I remember reading it in Hot Rod, Car Craft, Rod and Custom, etc. in the '60's. I think all these mags were West coast. Car culture out there was way ahead of the rest of the country.

I think it was '50's/early '60's thing. It might have been West coast thing. I remember reading it in Hot Rod, Car Craft, Rod and Custom, etc. in the '60's. I think all these mags were West coast. Car culture out there was way ahead of the rest of the country.
Yeah, probably a hip thing one of the hot rodding magazines of the day coined...

You know the movie title...
459dd47c0a931cc2c94b335afac6a4f2.jpg

No jugs here but I do have a pic of a holley Tea Pot 4bbl.
I remember seeing one for the 1st time on a 312 ford thinking what kind of carb is that.lol
90-865712-1.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back