• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evans Wiring Engine Harness Issue

westie47

Local time
5:16 AM
Reaction score
As an add-on to my other thread re:fusible link burnt, I have traced the problem to my new engine harness from Evans Wiring. After I sorted everything out in the engine compartment, I went under the dash and immediately saw that the power wire was melted at the bulkhead. I pulled the bulkhead out and removed the burnt wire. Then noticed that the fusible link was feeding into a violet wire and the violet wire directly above was feeding into the power (red) wire. That seemed odd so I pulled out my original harness and compared. The new engine harness was set up wrong!
The violet wire and fusible link were switched around. Now I’m just waiting for the right female connectors to come into the parts store before I can fix it.
Could that be why the dash and interior lights weren’t working?
Another restoration lesson learned, I should have compared the harnesses before installation. Evans had good reviews so I guess I just trusted it.

97BD79BF-936D-4269-B726-7E56BABAA7D9.jpeg

DCEEEE4E-D4B4-4511-A3B5-42913135B427.jpeg

A7A3B3C5-8DC7-47FC-A45C-D039E87FF5D0.jpeg

Had a problem with the M&H harness from YearOne so it taught me to always compared the harnesses before installation. Crap happens and Evans make great harnesses.

Had a problem with the M&H harness from YearOne so it taught me to always compared the harnesses before installation. Crap happens and Evans make great harnesses.
I’m just glad I caught it before anything really bad happened!

Mine kept the starter engaged was scary.

Violet wire is usually low beam headlight.

Definitely don't want the charge load going back through that!
The weird thing is the car ran, I took it for a test drive…had all exterior power, lights, wipers etc but no interior lights, dash etc. I guess the wire was slowly melting?

As an add-on to my other thread re:fusible link burnt, I have traced the problem to my new engine harness from Evans Wiring. After I sorted everything out in the engine compartment, I went under the dash and immediately saw that the power wire was melted at the bulkhead. I pulled the bulkhead out and removed the burnt wire. Then noticed that the fusible link was feeding into a violet wire and the violet wire directly above was feeding into the power (red) wire. That seemed odd so I pulled out my original harness and compared. The new engine harness was set up wrong!
The violet wire and fusible link were switched around. Now I’m just waiting for the right female connectors to come into the parts store before I can fix it.
Could that be why the dash and interior lights weren’t working?
Another restoration lesson learned, I should have compared the harnesses before installation. Evans had good reviews so I guess I just trusted it.

View attachment 1350614

View attachment 1350615

View attachment 1350616
Sorry to learn about your difficulties.......BUT....have you contacted Evans Wiring Harness. They stand behind their products.....just explain everything to Bill Evans.....I trust that they will make amends.
BOB RENTON

Sorry to learn about your difficulties.......BUT....have you contacted Evans Wiring Harness. They stand behind their products.....just explain everything to Bill Evans.....I trust that they will make amends.
BOB RENTON
Not yet, I’ll call this weekend.

BOB RENTON
Exactly....well said Bob. :thumbsup:

Tommy White has always made great harnesses. Never had a problem. partshound.net.

I recently purchased an engine harness from Bill and the wire to the voltage regulator and ballast were about
1 1/2” short of reaching and I called him and he requested pictures. I sent several pics and the reply I got was
“looks short but hard to tell how it’s routed”. So I sent more pics and details on the routing and crickets are all I’ve heard since. I’ve always heard that customer service was good with him but I’m now wonderin.

I recently purchased an engine harness from Bill and the wire to the voltage regulator and ballast were about
1 1/2” short of reaching and I called him and he requested pictures. I sent several pics and the reply I got was
“looks short but hard to tell how it’s routed”. So I sent more pics and details on the routing and crickets are all I’ve heard since. I’ve always heard that customer service was good with him but I’m now wonderin.
Won't use evan's stuff anymore.

I just emailed him and told him the issue along with pics. He responded within 30 minutes or so and said it shouldn’t have started or melted the violet wire. At any rate, he said to send the harness back and he’ll fix it. I just asked him to send me a new fusible link since I already fixed it.

I should note that I had to check all the connectors as some were loose and could be pulled right out of the plug. It was a quick fix.

Everybody including you have a bad day now and then and probably were not on your best behavior that day.
Cost nothing to call again. People don't stay in business by ignoring customers. Again, " Let he who is without....cast the first stone."

Auto Transport Service
Back