• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Evans Wiring Engine Harness Issue

I’ve used Evans and have been satisfied, just like you guys I have to check them out. I’m color blind so I have someone help me to verify I’m correct. I highly recommend Evans and M&H both build nice stuff.. Like others say mistakes happen as long as you caught it, that’s the thing!

You gotta let Bob speak his peace it’s one man’s opinion that’s all.
All i did was mention another vendor, and bob jumps in, and offers his two cents which is fine. I can speak my peace it's my opnion also. I use Tommy White's products because they are great. Bob jumps in, and says I never heard of him. Ok, so what???

I am happy I checked all the connections, and the wiring to the diagram before installing. I have Evans, M&H (Dash Harness), and Partshound.
Only thing I had to reverse on my 69 Charger was the hood blinkers, they were reversed L&R.
I am happy you found it, before it could had been worse.

All i did was mention another vendor, and bob jumps in, and offers his two cents which is fine. I can speak my peace it's my opnion also. I use Tommy White's products because they are great. Bob jumps in, and says I never heard of him. Ok, so what???
Really easy to post a single link to the vendor than go on a rant...

I should note that I had to check all the connectors as some were loose and could be pulled right out of the plug. It was a quick fix.
I really think I would be considering sending the whole harness back to him. What if some of the crimps were not done correctly? Maybe whoever put your harness together was a new guy, or a guy who had a beef with the owner, you just never know. I have never used any of Evans stuff, but have heard nothing but good about them.

Really easy to post a single link to the vendor than go on a rant...
That's fine. I mentioned partshound.net, and renton goes on some tirade that evan's is the best. That also is fine. I don't care. Like I said I just mentioned a different vendor. Just look up partshound.net. just do a simple google search, or type it in to your browser.

Calm down? Tell renton he's not the last word on who provides the best wiring harnesses. I mentioned another source, and he sounds like some wiring nazi.
All he did was mention he's never heard of him. So, rather than elaborate on your experience, you reply with a snide remark. Not for nothing ,but he's one of the most knowledgeable people here, who's been a contributor to this forum for quite some time. And you subsequently continue with a rant. I don't see where he went on a tirade ? after your post ?

All he did was mention he's never heard of him. So, rather than elaborate on your experience, you reply with a snide remark. Not for nothing ,but he's one of the most knowledgeable people here, who's been a contributor to this forum for quite some time. And you subsequently continue with a rant. I don't see where he went on a tirade ? after your post ?
All i did was mention another vendor. Fine, him being knowledgeable is fine too. If he never heard of him, he could have done a simple google search.

Bob jumps in, and says I never heard of him. Ok, so what???
That does not mean that Bob was attacking your opinion....he simply said he hadn't heard of the company or person you mentioned.

Take heart in the fact that many people probably hadn't heard of him either, and have likely googled him now. :thumbsup:

As you can see, we like to read & learn from each other's unique experiences. Tells a lot more than just a "google search" . I've mentioned sources others haven't heard of. I tell them what my experience was with the product, cost, service, etc. You're a newbie here. You'll see for yourself the wealth of knowledge many have here. I myself am amazed sometimes, I see an inquiry, I go to answer, and I see a host of great replies !
All i did was mention another vendor. Fine, him being knowledgeable is fine too. If he never heard of him, he could have done a simple google search.

I bought one from him this summer and he dragged his feet on sending it out so I ended up fixing my old one .when his showed up I sent it back never opened it I got it at 9 am and by 10:15 it was in the mail headed back to him it took him 3 weeks and a few call to get a refund plus he never gave me a total I had to call my credit card to get that plus he charged me 20% restocking fee not good .

I just emailed him and told him the issue along with pics. He responded within 30 minutes or so and said it shouldn’t have started or melted the violet wire. At any rate, he said to send the harness back and he’ll fix it. I just asked him to send me a new fusible link since I already fixed it.

I’m kinda agree with them. Not every wire being crossed around could make melt the wire, just if the wires crossed mix positive and negative.

BUT the mistake is the interpretation. That violet wire on engine harness it comes from temp sender which it handles signal coming from ground. Is not the low headlights Because headlights are on forward lighting harness. Somehow the wires crossed around are making to source the red wire to the temp sender. BUT it must be another crossed wire which made to energize the Red wire on cab side. When you get two unmatched wires you are getting actually 4 unmatched wires ( maybe even more ), two on each side of the firewall. You can’t get JUST the violet wire in engine side meeting with the Red wire on cab side being unmatched… dig on this deeper.

Last edited:
I’m kinda agree with them. Not every wire being crossed around could make melt the wire, just if the wires crossed mix positive and negative.

BUT the mistake is the interpretation. That violet wire on engine harness it comes from temp sender which it handles signal coming from ground. Is not the low headlights Because headlights are on forward lighting harness. Somehow the wires crossed around are making to source the red wire to the temp sender. BUT it must be another crossed wire which made to energize the Red wire on cab side. When you get two unmatched wires you are getting actually 4 unmatched wires ( maybe even more ), two on each side of the firewall. You can’t get JUST the violet wire in engine side meeting with the Red wire on cab side being unmatched… dig on this deeper.
I just went through and compared my old harnesses to the new ones. All wires look to be in the correct spots.
I’ll have to get up under the dash and check the dash side.

Funnily enough, before the issue, I had Temp gauge working but not fuel or alternator. Now I have fuel and alternator but not Temp lol

As an add-on to my other thread re:fusible link burnt, I have traced the problem to my new engine harness from Evans Wiring. After I sorted everything out in the engine compartment, I went under the dash and immediately saw that the power wire was melted at the bulkhead. I pulled the bulkhead out and removed the burnt wire. Then noticed that the fusible link was feeding into a violet wire and the violet wire directly above was feeding into the power (red) wire. That seemed odd so I pulled out my original harness and compared. The new engine harness was set up wrong!
The violet wire and fusible link were switched around. Now I’m just waiting for the right female connectors to come into the parts store before I can fix it.
Could that be why the dash and interior lights weren’t working?
Another restoration lesson learned, I should have compared the harnesses before installation. Evans had good reviews so I guess I just trusted it.

View attachment 1350614

View attachment 1350615

View attachment 1350616
with out a factory wiring diagram u dont know u r guessing @ best u need a copy of the wiring for the csr . then how do u know if the wiring u bought is right for the car ,

well no need REALLY for the diagram but just compare engine bay side againts cab side.... or old wiring vs new one. Some differences could be found on wires inside the cab and outside the cab. For example some models got into cab tan and light green wires for front directionals, while on engine bay side they become on black with those colors on traces ( black with tan trace and black with light green trace )... Back up lamps could be white into the cab and black on engine bay side with the trace into the oposite color when present. However is not hard to decode or trace.

Auto Transport Service
Back