• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ever Dine With a Famous Person (or famous person to be)?

I was invited to the Goodyear tower at Daytona in 1991, for the Bush race and then for the Cup race the next day, by the boss at Goodyear. I had to look up the year, because I remember it was during the Gulf war. I met Lee Petty, Buddy Baker, Benny Parsons and a host of others. I sat next to Leroy Waltrip over lunch, having a good conversation with him.
Darrell Waltrip had wrecked out of the race and while I was walking from the tower just before the end of the race, I passed by Darrell Waltrip. I said something like, I was just talking with your dad, nice guy and he acknowledged and kept walking. After that, I turned my head around to look back, just at the same time Darrell did the same. We both waved and then kept walking.

I had breakfast with Elvis a couple years ago when I was in Vegas for the MATS. He really should cut down on the Colt 45's.
:lol:

I had lunch with Richard Cranium last year at the FBBO tent at Carlisle. Says he knows some famous old broad and was swapping quiche recipes. I don't know, sounds like a stretch to me.

Really though, shared a table with Mario Andretti at a local restaurant in our hometown. He owns a several hundred acre estate and some beautiful houses there. I met him restoring power after one of the big snowstorms we had years ago. We worked 2 full days before all was restored, and he invited our entire crew to a summer party later in the year. He is a very down to earth guy, but can't say that about the younger Andretti's. I have not seen him around town since his wife passed away, she was also very sweet and quiet.

Last edited:
Never had a meal with a famous person.
But I was fortunate to meet Joe Foss many years ago at an NRA convention. Have an autographed picture of him. As a boy I was fascinated by WW2 and aviation. Great to meet a real hero

Dennis Farina was shooting a movie a block away from my old plant and came into the greasy spoon on the corner while I was there. I bought him breakfast and we sat down and BS'd a while. Super cool down-to-earth Chicago guy. RIP Dennis

View attachment 1455774

@kiwigtx

Shut up and sit down you big bald fu**. :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Mike Reid (Doug) was a legendary comedian and actor with a filthy book of jokes.

Well, I didn’t sit down to eat with her, but I did cook with her on an episode of Good Morning America in 1989 or so when she was in town for hubbys campaign. I also bought Gabe Kaplan lunch when he came into the restaurant at the Marriott where I was restaurant manager. He was also in town for the campaign rally.

8D0DDECA-6670-4B84-B815-CDCE814422EF.jpeg

I get to say I had lunch with the governor of Virginia or his wife! About 10 years ago my wife and I went to the D-Day Museum in Bedford, VA, her father went in D + 3, we asked about a place to eat and the docent told us about a restaurant. In the parking lot was a car with VA plate #1. So we were there and so was he or his wife!

No lunch, but got to shake Tim Conway’s hand at a track meet in NE Ohio in 1967.
AND, shook hands & talked a little with Doug(dvw) couple years ago at a NSS meet in Ohio!!!

When I was kid back in the mid 80s. I raced Soap Box Derby cars, when they were kind of in their prime. I dont think its a big to do any more.

But as a local champion, racing at the world championships one afternoon we had lunch with celebrities (at the time) - all of us local champs did. I dont recall all of the actual actors names, but Boss Hog, Nellie from Little House, John from Chips, some olympians, Webster, someone from Punky Brewster (not her) and a pile of others.

My buddy Rusty and I were on Beale Street in Memphis, TN about 30-years partying. We were at a club called the Rum & Boogie and blasted out of our minds drunk. I had to go pee and so did Rusty. We went into the bathroom and there were three urinals on the wall. However someone was at the middle one, so I went left and Rusty went right. Now mind you we are really drunk, but I notice the guy standing in the middle is an American Indian guy, or so I thought at the time. So I lean way back and say to Rusty, "Hey Rusty there is an Indian standing between us. The guy had to have heard me, but never said a word. The guy was Lou Diamond Phillips. He and his band the Pipefitter's were playing at that club. So taking a leak next to a movie star is as close as famous as I've ever come.

Tom

Well besides Steve Mariot mentioned earlier, Gordie Howe and his wife Collieen,
They where regulars at our club in Livonia, sat for dinner with them when my table filled up, we where placed at their table..... very nice people indeed.

Oly crap! You had lunch with Richard Cranium? I'm envious.
Don't be, he ordered the most expensive meal on the menu, had a dozen drinks and dessert, the excused himself to climb out the bathroom window and stuck him with the whole check! When asked why this happened, RC replied because owning Hemi cars is expensive! Lol

Gatornationals 1993 maybe. Spent the weekend meeting every famous drag racer one could want to and hanging out in some in their pits while spending a bunch of time with Miss Mopar. Scott Geffrion was awesome to hang out with - pro stock. 240 Gordie Bonin, Roland Leong, Leonard Hughes, Don Pruhdome, Warren Johnson, Eddie Hill, John Force etc. Had a ringside seat for the fire up of Force's and Gordy's funny car. Eddie Hill won top fuel, John Force won funny car -all in the dark - rain delay. We watched the finals at the finish line. Wow!!!. Had drinks [scotch] with Force. Later on whilst me n miss mopar were fine dining at the Waffle House Eddie and Ercie Hill came in and had dinner with us. Eddie insisted on buying.

Last edited:
I was in Amsterdam in 1992 at a cafe. The ones where you can buy marijuana and the like. Who should walk in but The Highwaymen. Willie Nelson, Kris Kristopherson, Waylon Jennings and Johnny Cash. I couldn't believe it. They were touring at the time. Nothing more that a couple of words to Willie, but they were some pretty chilled out dudes.

I have had two famous Kiwi's sit in my GTX over the years..... the late Jonah Lomu (at his sister-in-laws wedding), and Greg Murphy (at the Beach Hop)
Both were impressed with the car....even though Jonah was more of a Chevy guy. Greg has grown up now and drifted away from GM (Holden) to the more mature taste of MoPar. :lol:

1682543586716.png

upload_2018-10-18_23-9-13-png.668829

For anyone unfamiliar with Jonah Lomu .....

And Greg with his "Lap of the Gods" .....

Last edited:
@440+6 Steve Marriott was great guitarist, great singer, and I am a huge fan of Humble Pie.
How loaded was Steve? He died a sad death, RIP.

The closest I got to dining with a famous person was Dee Snyder from Twisted Sister. He was in a band at the time called Widowmaker that were playing in a local bar. This was back in 1994 and at that time I was 19, but you had to be 21 to enter this bar. A friend of mine that knew people that worked there said they could get me in if I worked the door. So before they opened the doors, they fed everybody and I got to eat sitting about 6' from Dee Snyder.

My daughter and I went to the US Nationals in 2009. One night, we had dinner at a Bob Evans and Kenny Bernstein was sitting at the table across from ours. We exchange a few pleasantries. He was very nice.

Around '93 or '94 my wife's cousin was a linebacker with the Packers and I got him and a couple of other guys on the golf course near where we lived. They stopped over to our house after their game. The most famous one there was TE Mark Chmura. He became a big time player for the Packers under Mike Holmgren.

There have been others, but those are a couple that come to mind.

Auto Transport Service
Back