• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Manifold Bolt Leak

relam

Local time
2:13 AM
Reaction score
Just started to remove the exhaust manifold to replace the gasket and water started to drip from the rear bolt drivers side.

Its a 383 motor, just had it all checked out last month runs great,stays cool,great engine pressure.

What the heck?

Ah, figured it out,forgot about the water jacket on this motor.

I always had leaks with gaskets,
but no leaks with no gaskets.
66 383.
How about at the flange?
My drivers side flange leaks incessantly. I'm about to install my third. I believe there may be an odd twist in the down/intermediate pipe putting stress on the flange.

How about at the flange?
My drivers side flange leaks incessantly. I'm about to install my third. I believe there may be an odd twist in the down/intermediate pipe putting stress on the flange.
Yeah, Paid a shop to seal up stupid flange on pass side last week $120.
Goofy 1980s pipes with floating diamond flange would never sit square or seal.
Spent years mucking muffler putty.
But manifolds seal tight to heads for me with no gaskets on a 383.

Manifolds sometimes warp - probably in part due to inconsistent torque on the flange bolts. Either the manifold mating surface will have to be surfaced or you have to resort to red High Temp RTV or a gasket.

Ah, figured it out,forgot about the water jacket on this motor.
I learned about this the same way you did. Always a shock until you realize what's going on.

Auto Transport Service
Back