• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exhaust Manifold removal

I'd try pulling the head off manifold and all so you can fixture it to drill etc ...
You might be able to weld something on the end?
Either way you've got a much better shot out of the vehicle.

I'd try pulling the head off manifold and all so you can fixture it to drill etc ...
You might be able to weld something on the end?
Either way you've got a much better shot out of the vehicle.
Say it again?

How are you going to get the center head bolts out with the manifold on? Or the ones located under the outer exhaust ports.
I believe he means with the exhaust manifold still on.

I believe he means with the exhaust manifold still on.
Right. How are you gong to get a socket on any of the lower bolts under the exhaust ports.

906 headbbbbbbbbbbbbbbbb.jpg

It is possible but it would be a pita,open end wrench

How are you going to get the center head bolts out with the manifold on? Or the ones located under the outer exhaust ports.
Yes good point.
That is going to be a problem.

Well this is the first time I've ever heard of this problem.

I was waiting to hear how the head was coming off :poke: :lol:

Exactly which stud is it. Maybe a possibility of jacking and twisting the motor to make a drill or angle drill accessible. I've had to drill out wheelstuds nevermind exh studs. Sucks but doable.

Step one: determine the diameter of the remnants you're working with.

Step 2: find a 5" length of steel tubing with an ID slightly smaller than your target.

Step 3: stick a torch in there for a bit and heat the remnants up.

Step 4: hammer that piece of pipe over the remnant.

Step 5: give it a turn with a pipe wrench and hope to get lucky.

If that doesn't work, disconnect the battery and alternator leads. Put an old arc welder on FULL. Wrap a layer of electric tape on the outside of the piece of tubing except for the very end. Put the ground clamp on exhaust area as close as to the remnant as possible. Positive clamp on the end of the piece of tubing and then slowly slide it over the tube nut remnant while it is sparking like there's no tomorrow and then kill the welder power switch. You may just bond them together enough this round to turn it out. You have ZERO to lose !

Auto Transport Service
Back