• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory Mopar Max Wedge Heads??

wheatdog

Local time
6:12 PM
Reaction score
Bought a '64 Polara with 413 and pushbutton trans about 3 years ago. Pulled the engine and replaced with a hipo 512 stroker using a B block 400. Now that that's done I decided to take a look at some part numbers on the original engine which I thought was a turd cause it was running on about 6 cylinders when I got it (cam lobes were shot). The guy I bought it from said his father had the car for about 30 yrs and had done some performance work on it. So----I checked the casting nos on the cylinder heads and came up with 2406518-1. I looked on a mopar website that listed casting numbers and they said these heads are '64 426 Max Wedge heads with 2.08 in./1.88 ex. valves and 86cc chambers. Wow. Is this correct? If so, the resto maniacs may give me some $$$ for them right?
Is this the correct casting number for these heads and if so what are they worth in good condition?

Simple question. Do they have a heat crossover, with a cavity above it? If they do, they are not max heads. If they don't have a crossover, they probably are max heads. How complete are they, do they have adjustable rockers? Do you have the short block? Numbers?

518’s are MW heads.

I’m not sure if the “-1” has any significance or not.

pulled the rocker shaft and cleaned the area better. Yep, 516. Faked myself out. Oh well. Shoulda known by the heat Xover right of the bat. Was hoping to offset some of the expense of the monster motor.

Sorry. But we have run into this question before, 516mistaken for 518. Usually, if someone has max wedge heads, the characteristics of them will jump up and bite you on the foot, for attention.

Hey wheatdog, I recently picked up a 64, 413 and thought I had the 518 heads just like you thought, but that 6 looks like and 8 and really takes the wind out of your sail when you realize they are 516 heads.

Im looking to put aluminum heads on it, just a fun/reliable street machine that won’t break the bank any suggestions

thanks

FD6E748B-F012-40A9-A8F8-6704511CA9C9.jpeg 5305D7E1-AB5C-424D-BF6C-DC90349E1D0F.jpeg

No such thing as inexpensive big block mopar aluminum heads. 440 Source has what they call a stealth head that is a great head for $500 each. Get some more cam to use what the heads can flow and that 413 will make great power. Do they math to make sure you don't end up with way high compression with the stealth head on top of what are probably flat top pistons in a stock 413. Valve sizes are 2.14 int. and 1.81 ex. with 80cc chamber. Also talk to their tech folks to make sure the narrow bore (4.18") on the 413 will not be a problem with the bigger valves. You might take a look at what can be done using the stock heads with a little more cam and skip the aluminum heads. The stock 413s made great torque and a little more cam that doesn't outrun the stock heads ability to flow could get you what you want with less $$$.

No such thing as inexpensive big block mopar aluminum heads. 440 Source has what they call a stealth head that is a great head for $500 each. Get some more cam to use what the heads can flow and that 413 will make great power. Do they math to make sure you don't end up with way high compression with the stealth head on top of what are probably flat top pistons in a stock 413. Valve sizes are 2.14 int. and 1.81 ex. with 80cc chamber. Also talk to their tech folks to make sure the narrow bore (4.18") on the 413 will not be a problem with the bigger valves. You might take a look at what can be done using the stock heads with a little more cam and skip the aluminum heads. The stock 413s made great torque and a little more cam that doesn't outrun the stock heads ability to flow could get you what you want with less $$$.

I was going to have my 516s done with harden seats but their talking $750 to $1k around my area. I saw the heads at 440 source $1k and I think that’s the best route for me. I have a dual quad setup to top it off, which I think will work better with the aluminum heads.

A7CBD86D-AB22-43BE-A2BF-23CC226F1956.jpeg

Very cool carb setup! Looks like a vintage manifold. Get them jetted right and it'll run great. There's a couple of pair of 452s with the hardened seats on ebay. One set looks pretty clean for $375 but shipping's high due to weight. If the 1K for the stealth's don't hurt the budget too bad, stick with them. Far superior heads. I may rebuild my 413 and put it back in the polara. I went way overboard on the 512 I built and it makes insane power but I'm not racing and 650hp is a bit much. Changed out my 3.73 rear end to 2.76 to get the rpms and fuel consumption down. Besides, I had to be real careful with the throttle with the 3.73. Back end would break loose every time I pushed a little too much on the gas.

Very cool carb setup! Looks like a vintage manifold. Get them jetted right and it'll run great. There's a couple of pair of 452s with the hardened seats on ebay. One set looks pretty clean for $375 but shipping's high due to weight. If the 1K for the stealth's don't hurt the budget too bad, stick with them. Far superior heads. I may rebuild my 413 and put it back in the polara. I went way overboard on the 512 I built and it makes insane power but I'm not racing and 650hp is a bit much. Changed out my 3.73 rear end to 2.76 to get the rpms and fuel consumption down. Besides, I had to be real careful with the throttle with the 3.73. Back end would break loose every time I pushed a little too much on the gas.
You hit the nail on the head there. Too much and all of a sudden it's not enjoyable to drive. Fun if you want to chase it every stoplight. Lol

Thanks wheat, yes that offenhauser was a swap meet treasure I found. I’ve seen the 452’s on Craiglist and all said 45k miles lol... you know how a budget works when you want it bad enough you’ll find the $$.. if it’s between 350/450hp I’m happy, no more 650hp animals for me. I’ll have some fun with the 3.55’s in it now and then see about the 2.76 on the shelf and do what you did. But a 50mph burn out is always a sweet thing hahaha...

Auto Transport Service
Back