• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory red color for brake drums

TexasRoadRunner68

Local time
5:08 AM
Reaction score
My 70 charger appeared to have had red or reddish orange painted drums on it. I believe they are original, and should be able to be turned rather than replaced. No real gouges and looks like there should be plenty of material left.

Any idea what color or rattle can is closest to the factory color? I do plan on blasting them and painting them so they look fresh.

After I found this article I linked above a few years ago, I did Rallye Red on my drums.

061.JPG

My 70 charger appeared to have had red or reddish orange painted drums on it. I believe they are original, and should be able to be turned rather than replaced. No real gouges and looks like there should be plenty of material left.

Any idea what color or rattle can is closest to the factory color? I do plan on blasting them and painting them so they look fresh.
When I first got my 66 Belvedere, I pulled the drums to check the condition of the shoes and wow. The rears were badly grooved and that's when I found out no one had 10 x 1 1/2" drums so I threw them up in my lathe and cleaned them up to the tune of a .100" cut! I never blew them up and tried too. Anyways....are you doing a factory resto? Never did care for the red drums and usually painted them flat black or dark gray.

The story I have always heard is cars that were to have factory mounted sport wheels got the red paint treatment on the face of the drums.

I used Ford Red engine paint I believe... seemed to be spot on back when. I can get you the code tomorrow if you want it as I still have the can.
beerestoration2015-2016 2291.JPG
beerestoration2015-2016 2292.JPG

beerestoration2015-2016 2327.JPG

beerestoration2017 816.JPG

I believe this is a good match. Available on Amazon for $25ish. For some reason I can post a link. Original drums that I’ve seen had it applied with a brush (pretty sloppy)

1 Shot Letter Enamel 102L Fire Red 4Oz​

When I first got my 66 Belvedere, I pulled the drums to check the condition of the shoes and wow. The rears were badly grooved and that's when I found out no one had 10 x 1 1/2" drums so I threw them up in my lathe and cleaned them up to the tune of a .100" cut! I never blew them up and tried too. Anyways....are you doing a factory resto? Never did care for the red drums and usually painted them flat black or dark gray.
Now I'm on a quest to figure out what part numbers are 3404653 and 2200087 in triangle 6 based on the bulletin here:

7112439-brakepaint.jpg

Auto Transport Service
Back