• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Factory textured dash paint... Is there not anyone that makes it.

69rag500

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
1:57 AM
Reaction score
Had a small chat with (resq302 bringing it back to factory specs) yesterday about factory looking dash paint. I know that it is Acrylic lacquer with an additive to give it its texture like finish. Close to Organisol paint but alot finer. Anyone have an idea how to get that finish, other then holding back your spray gun on your final coat.. Cheers,

The rustoleum texture paint at the Walmart is pretty dang close

I tried to get that dash textured paint from DuPont- Nason. I had the factory numbers and other sources numbers, but even tho the paint color looked right, it did not have the right texture.................MO

A few years back i asked my PPG paint rep. and he said that he could not do it because of some of the ingredients were no longer for sale.. Oh well just mix fine sand in with the paint i guess...:eusa_think:

A few years back i asked my PPG paint rep. and he said that he could not do it because of some of the ingredients were no longer for sale.. Oh well just mix fine sand in with the paint i guess...:eusa_think:

This is true yes, the ingredients are not available anymore, however, the link I posted from the company above, he still has a limited quantity of the ingredients, as he got them in his inventory when he bought the PPG paint store he now owns, that is why it is still available from him until he runs out. I used it on my 73 RR dash, black, and it looks awesome. Now you will have to find someone that knows how to spray lacquer otherwise it will come out with too much texture and be like sand paper.

Also, keep in mind you might be able to find other paints that have the proper texture but they will not look right. The original dash paints are not just a basic trim black, they also have a super fine silver flake in them and you will notice this when the sun hits them.

Here is a close-up of the speaker/vent cover on the top of my dash, you can see the flake in the paint. In the shade, yes it looks like just basic trim black, but in the sun, it looks silky. I think this is what really sets MOPAR dashes apart from all others!
IMAG1595small.jpg

You can get that gritty texture buy fogging the last coat of paint onto a dash or any other part after the previous wet coat has started to flash off. By fogging it and holding the gun a little further back, the paint partially dries and gives it that sand like texture.

You can get that gritty texture buy fogging the last coat of paint onto a dash or any other part after the previous wet coat has started to flash off. By fogging it and holding the gun a little further back, the paint partially dries and gives it that sand like texture.

This is what I did but you need to develop the proper technique to avoid stripes or uneven patterns.

very true. I guess it all comes down to how much you paint or how good you are at painting.

Auto Transport Service
Back