• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fall Out Drags-Battle in the Woods

Chongo 68

FBBO Gold Member
FBBO Gold Member
Local time
8:33 AM
Reaction score
image001.png

Great day at the Fall Out Drags, Car show, Gassers and Swap Meet…weather was amazing.

Thanks for posting! The dark green early A body wagon (61 Lancer) is mine. I've owned it since the early 70's. Last year I made it over for the Friday session before the rain came and made my first pass with the car in 32 years. This year Friday was almost a complete rain out, in fact I'd headed back home mid day as it looked like it was going to rain all day.

The pictures are from Saturday (yesterday) The 61 Chevy in front of it was a great guy from Ohio running a 409 stick. He's part of a group that's crazy about the Chevy W motors. Had a nice visit with him while we waited our turn.

Just before we got ready to run #2 son got there with my two grandsons, 3 and 5. The older one didn't like the noise at all, even with ear muffs on, but the 3 year old absolutely loved it and didn't want to wear the ear muffs. (I can relate, love the sounds) It was a hoot to watch their reactions when I started the car. I beat the Chevy pretty good, in fact the Lancer yanked the front wheels off the ground for the first time ever. Traction was very good. He'd had trouble with his transmission. I was really hoping for a close race just for the fun of it.

Was able to make 2 runs before heading home. Car felt good. 1/8 mile times are better than ever, but the car gets soft on the top end and I'm baffled as to the reason. Tried a bigger carb which helped some. I'd installed a fuel pressure gauge last winter after seeing the same thing at last year's event. Pressure shows good all the way through the pass. Regardless, it sure feels good to stand on it after so many years away from it. Car goes straight and handles like a dream. I kept reminding myself that the engine has been together since 1976 and has a LOT of cycles on it. I am determined to break into the 11's next year.

The people were amazing. Lost count of how many asked if they could take their picture with the car. Very few actually knew what it was. One lady came up to me in the staging lanes to tell me she's working on a Valiant wagon and she was all smiles.

That‘s amazing you have had that car so long, very KOOL. I was watching you in the staging lanes saying what an awesome car! I left yesterdays event even more fired up / inspired to get my 62 “soon to be gasser” completed!
IMG_0167.jpeg

Cool shots, Love the gassers...

thanks for sharing

Thanks for the pics. Love seeing those old gassers. Had a woman and her husband I knew that had a gasser, Willis. She dove it and he worked on it. What a match they were. She gave me a picture of it and have it today. They were from Michigan.

Cool pics....

I havent raced there in a while. I dont live too far from there, and rarely ever bracket raced there. Usually Byron, KK, or the Grove...... it always seemed like such a hassle there (at least when Corda owned it) and every time I was there I never felt welcomed, or that I fit in.

1992 was the first time I ran there, and probably didnt go back until 2002 or so. Another experience and then maybe again in 2008 and I really think that may have been it.

I must admit when I went there last year after being away for many years, it was with some trepidation. I'd been through some very trying experiences there long before you did and went elsewhere until I put the car away in about 1989-90.

Both times now have been nothing but positive experiences. Everyone I dealt with at the track was pleasant and professional, from the guy at the gate to the lady in the registration building to the tech guys and even the guys out on the track (which has to be a thankless job). I even briefly spoke with the owner before things got going. I left thoroughly impressed.

I must admit when I went there last year after being away for many years, it was with some trepidation. I'd been through some very trying experiences there long before you did and went elsewhere until I put the car away in about 1989-90.

Both times now have been nothing but positive experiences. Everyone I dealt with at the track was pleasant and professional, from the guy at the gate to the lady in the registration building to the tech guys and even the guys out on the track (which has to be a thankless job). I even briefly spoke with the owner before things got going. I left thoroughly impressed.

Thats good to hear - I literally live down the interstate from there and as I mentioned avoided it. I dont have a regular bracket car right now, but seriously considering having my lil bro build me one or update one for me. As my nephew has the Daytona, and keeps winning in it - so I doubt I will get that back :)

My first time there - 1992..... my parents asked me what i wanted for my birthday. I just finished up this garage build bracket car. 1972 Dart with 440, it wasnt fast, it wasnt consistent - but as a dumb kid, it is what I had. So I told them I would like to race some place else other than Kaukana and they pay the travel and entry fee. We drove a few hours to Rock Falls, and entered the bracket race. First thing that caught my attention was box and no-box were throw into one class. But oh well - it was a new experience, big deal right.

I make my time runs, and its first round. I adjust my dial-in board, and draw another dodge dart, a really clean yellow one that was pitted near me. I thought we had a pretty similar ET but didnt pay that much attention. I stage, lights come down and I leave - and I am like why is this guy so far out in front of me. What is wrong with my car, what did I do etc. I get my slip and I am dumbfounded. Sitting on my trailer I am like why did I run a second slow. As a broke kid I figured, great, I hurt my motor/trans/converter etc...... the fella I raced against came up to me, and was like - hey I am sorry that happened to you. You never raced here before right? I am like what are you talking about. He said, they put your ET predictions up on the score board prior to staging - I had no idea. They entered my time completely wrong. I never encountered that before, never seen it etc. He was very cool, said he was trying to get the starters attention when he realized it but was too late and I was staged.

So he said, lets go talk to Corda and re-run it. Literally, I probably wasnt going to beat this guy. He had a delay box if I remember right and I was a dumb kid, new to all of this. But I had a ton of respect for him for at least offering to make it right. Corda was like, No - thats his responsibility to know the process, he accepted it. We are not re-running it. Now to that point I had read about Corda, as a kid into mopars he was in his hey-day at that time. I was devastated. My dad was pissed. The guy was even apologetic about it. It took a long time to go back.

But even then it was one thing after another.

I knew a ton of people from the area that were skipping that place to run at Byron (which had a really good payout and program for most of their points weekends)

But now that I hear its running well, I may have to come on up and take a look. Especially for some of the old style nostalgia type stuff. Very cool to see.

Auto Transport Service
Back