• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Family Tradition

Pretty good title there. I was going to suggest,
"Dr. Will Strangelove. Or, How I learned to start welding and love the bomb."

Awesome work, can't wait to see the shiny side.

Bawhahahaha....Man that's hilarious!!!

Will if you do end up putting this build down as a book or something along those lines I'm in for a copy! Like I said before,I've learned a ton from your resto...very cool work

Now that folks are bringing it up Dave....I'll look into this. Maybe get a couple dozen put together and send out to the folks that have been helping out, adding their 2 cents, and been with along the way. Add all the posts on the thread, maybe a few more pic's I haven't added to the thread and possibly add in more in depth descriptions along the way..

Thanks guys!

It would be very interesting Will. Both as a book itself and also the process of converting a forum thread to book format.

I have a post that went monster sized on a hunting/fishing forum that's over 3.5 million views. I've had many people ask me about turning it into a book but I simply wouldn't know where to start.

It would be very interesting Will. Both as a book itself and also the process of converting a forum thread to book format.

I have a post that went monster sized on a hunting/fishing forum that's over 3.5 million views. I've had many people ask me about turning it into a book but I simply wouldn't know where to start.

3.5 million...WOW! Right now there's some eskimo floating around on an iceburg reading Dave's thread..

Same senario here Dave as far as trying to find direction....If you come up with any ideas or tips, let me know. Folks probably wouldn't want something I conjured up. We'd all end up with construction paper and stick people..LOL

Same here lol... If i ever did anything with my deer camp thread I'd have to just hand it over as is to a writer/pulisher and see if they can wade through the junk and make something out of it.

This roadrunner project you have here I think could be captured in book form well enough.

"Well I tore this apart and found that, so i did this... then I noticed that... so did this... decided on this here.." so on and so forth :grin:

Same here lol... If i ever did anything with my deer camp thread I'd have to just hand it over as is to a writer/pulisher and see if they can wade through the junk and make something out of it.

This roadrunner project you have here I think could be captured in book form well enough.

"Well I tore this apart and found that, so i did this... then I noticed that... so did this... decided on this here.." so on and so forth :grin:

LOL...No doubt. Maybe I could add in a revolving bank account meter and we could watch it plummet into a exploding fireball on the last page. Maybe even a sound effect deal like the Hallmark cards....Or hey...A Wife/Car Morale meter...We're in the red folks!!!

Prop. It took me a little while to figure out "Propwash". I had a feeling but, not for sure. We have another thing in common except Mopars. I try to catch the updates on this thread and FBBO in general but it gets hard when I'm so far away from home and my beloved Mopar.

Anyway, your build is an inspiration to all here also, with other members giving advice, etc. Heck even some of the guys I work and see daily are getting hooked on this thread. They'll ask if there's anything new on your thread. I just tell them yeah, but you should join yourself...lol

will,maybe you can talk to the local paper or if you have a favorite author whose books you like to read, then send them an e-mail and ask them how they got their stories printed. I can't speak for everone, but maybe you can get some of us to go in as investers. just as long as it doesn't go higher than a gazillion dollars,anything under that and we can talk.Also maybe check with a barnes & noble bookstore. they might have some ideas also. Just throwing some ideas at ya.

Prop. It took me a little while to figure out "Propwash". I had a feeling but, not for sure. We have another thing in common except Mopars. I try to catch the updates on this thread and FBBO in general but it gets hard when I'm so far away from home and my beloved Mopar.

Anyway, your build is an inspiration to all here also, with other members giving advice, etc. Heck even some of the guys I work and see daily are getting hooked on this thread. They'll ask if there's anything new on your thread. I just tell them yeah, but you should join yourself...lol

I appreciate you following the thread rrTor-Red and thanks for the compliment. Pretty neat to know the car has a fan club, even with folks that are not connected to this thread/site like you guys are...

Glad to meet another aviation guy on here..Flying them, fixing them, drawing them, and just talking about them...pretty much a nut about them. My nickname I aquired in the Air Force. My F-15 was at the end of the flightline where the flightline took a 90* turn for the main inbound-outbound taxi way, including heavy's..Needless to say it was always pretty windy in my world. One day a C-130 on the go got the best of me. Just imagine a leaf pile and a leaf blower...LOL That's when my bud's decided to bless me with that name..

will,maybe you can talk to the local paper or if you have a favorite author whose books you like to read, then send them an e-mail and ask them how they got their stories printed. I can't speak for everone, but maybe you can get some of us to go in as investers. just as long as it doesn't go higher than a gazillion dollars,anything under that and we can talk.Also maybe check with a barnes & noble bookstore. they might have some ideas also. Just throwing some ideas at ya.

Great ideas Roger!! Gives me something to roll on, that's for sure. Thanks for your willingness to help and start putting something on paper. Rev had a couple pretty dang funny tittle's for a book, but I would be real interested in some of the ideas all you other guys could come up with...Thanks again!

So I said I would post on the ammeter to Voltmeter conversion, so here they are....

Just to recap just a bit, I'm going this route because I'm going to a powermaster 140 one wire alternator as well as I don't want to sit and worry about this car going up in smoke

First off a couple pieces of the old ammeter....Pretty nuts isn't it?? This car had a 50 amp alternator when I pulled it out (nothing special), and who knows how close this came to lighting the dash up in flames.

a1-9.jpg

Check out the heat affected zone on this....Obviously this metal got pretty hot!

a2-9.jpg

Got a little a head of myself before pulling out the camera, but this is the Sunpro 2" Voltmeter (P/N CP8205), with it's guts ripped. To pull out the old meter, take off the two pal nuts for the fuel gauge (face plate overlaps the face plate for the ammeter), then take off the nuts for the ammeter..walla!
you'll need to drill out two very small rivets to seperate the factory faceplate from the ammeter. I used a cutting wheel to cut slots in the voltmeter case. Made the sealed unit come apart real easy.

a3-9.jpg

The center to center holes n the back of the cluster assembly are further apart than the sunpro studs, but the voltmeters studs are smaller so they slide right down in the holes..

a4-8.jpg

Being the studs of the volmeter ride real close to the inside of the cluster housing holes, I covered a good chunk of the studs with heat shrink as well as liquid electrical tape on the transition just to make sure there is no chance it can arc to the housing

a5-6.jpg

I cut the original shorter needle off the sunpro at its base, cut the old one of the factory ammeter and used some JB Kwik Weld to secure in place on the new meter.
I also had to trim down a little finger on the plastic meter housing about an 1/8" of an inch which is used to hold the original sunpro face plate from sitting on the electrical wiring/solder on the unit. Makes the mopar faceplate stick out a bit too far.

a6-5.jpg

I had to do some trimming on the original faceplate with a dremel to fit the meter in correctly. One this meter is secured from the backside, it doesn't budge so I didn't secure in any other manner from the inside. Also the face place is overlaped by the fuel gauge faceplate, so that hold it in place as well.

a7-4.jpg

Here's how she looks with the cluster lense installed...You cannot notice any kind of modifications from the outside..The need can be adjusted for a different starting point by just turning a little cam on the backside of the magnet on the guage. The needle right now sits a bit higher than the other bottomed out gauges. Not really that noticable at all.

a8-2.jpg

This is at 12.75 volts...Like I mentioned you can adjust the needle starting point on the voltmeter... I set mine up to read like this being the powermaster puts out a regulated 13.2 volts and that should center the needle in the gauge. Also being the studs are a bit undersized for the holes, you can twist the unit one way or another when loosing it up from the backside and tweek the needle to meet center if need be

a9-2.jpg

Here's the back...The heat shrink runs right up to the top of the nut. It also slides through the through wall grommets in the bracket, thus no arc's. The bracket came with the voltmeter for securing the gauge in a housing, I just cut off the ends. I'll probably dabble on some liquid electical tape on the bracket around the washers as well. Like mentioned, the through wall grommets work great for protecting a short.. I'll run another nut on top and a star washer to secure the wires.

a10.jpg

A good idea to do on the backside is write on a + and -, being the positive is opposite what the factory has stamped on the back of the case. I also indicated the change over seeing you never know if the car may fall in someone eles hands someday.. I will take the two original wires that use to run to the ammeter, solder them together and heat shrink over. I also plan on drilling out the male/female connection in the bulhead for the wire coming in, run the wire straight through, solder together and heat shrink install a inline fuse.

a12.jpg

So there it is.......If you were thinking about spending the $150-$200 after shipping with Redline (nothing against them), here's another option where you'll spend about $17 bucks on the voltmeter and maybe an hour or two depending on your skill level. I know for me this really gives me a good piece of mind I don't have to worry about any issues in that area any more. Hope it helps some one out someday....

If i manage to get that project Will, You'll love the fishing here, ya know (devious look here).. Its like looking at a resto manual on line.. Only in better detail! That waiting game seems to be bringing you some added benefits, im sure its well worth the wait following along here and seeing the things you do waiting. Great job.

My F-15 was at the end of the flightline where the flightline took a 90* turn for the main inbound-outbound taxi way, including heavy's..Needless to say it was always pretty windy in my world. One day a C-130 on the go got the best of me. Just imagine a leaf pile and a leaf blower...LOL That's when my bud's decided to bless me with that name..

Reminds me of a story of my Dads where he said they would send the new guys to supply to get a bucket of propwash and have the newbies running all over base looking for it.
We did the same thing for newbie radio operators, we sent them looking for a pint of "frequency grease" LOL

I obtained the nickname "D-bag" in the Corps. No, not that kind of 'D' bag. The kind of device that holds a parachute. I was making a jump at Ft Bragg with the Army doggies and the Navy Corpsman who jumped out before me was an accomplished skydiver. He had jumped out of the 141 and left his static line flopping all over the place. Me being a good Marine, jumped out and tucked my chin to my chest, trapping the previous line. Well, about 8-10 feet of 1 inch nylon rope zipped across my neck and then the "D-Bag" attached to it, hit me in the side of the face and almost knocked me out. It did knock my helmet off at 1200 ft. When I got to the ground, after untwisting my risers, I could feel my neck burning. I had a 4x6 rug burn on my neck. My Gunny couldn't resist laughing his *** off and calling me "d-bag" for the rest of my time there. Gotta love your fellow serviceman. LOL

Hey congrats Prop! Skeletor is ready for paint, way to fast track that project! I'm envious, can't wait to see it painted.

Thanks Matt...Me as well!!!

Great story Daryn!! Always enjoy other peoples war stories. I go down to the VFW now and then, not for just the 25 cent tappers, but just to listen to the old timers and some of the stuff they gotta say. Pretty amazing stuff.

thanks matt...me as well!!!

Great story daryn!! Always enjoy other peoples war stories. I go down to the vfw now and then, not for just the 25 cent tappers, but just to listen to the old timers and some of the stuff they gotta say. Pretty amazing stuff.

more?????????????????

Rumblin' along before you know it!!!

I write this 9 Leinie's into it so pardon me if i ramble....lol :soda1:

I've loved watchin' you bring da old bird back...:upside down::upside down::upside down:

Her second life will be a proper resurrection!!!

ok, so i'm up a bit late :lotsocoffee:, but i finally got a few nonconsecutive days off from work, so i'm livin' it up!!!!:sixpack: :pimp_daddy:

and i won a few good auction items today (for da business) ...so i'm celebrating that too!! :icon_santa:

awesome work brotha, keep it up!!!

Will/Prop:

I'm out of the country, in a foriegn contry thats in turmoil...boy, just about ALL countries are in turmoil outside the good ol USA!.

One of the guys I work with said this..."that chap has performed a bloody exorsism of the rust on that car"...he's from England...lol...thought that was funny. He is one of a few who asks about the status on your car.

Thanks Mario!! Leinenkugel's you say? MMMMMmmmm. Sounds good right about now....Gotta say, you're a man with some class

Seen some pic's of your new building and your fleet. One heck of an operation you got going on down there. Again, Congrat's! Thanks for the kind words and following along. You've definitely been around for the long haul on this one.

Good to hear from you rrTor-Red! That "exorsism" line is hilarious....Brit's always have a clever way of explaining things. He may get a kick out of this... Over in Afghanistan, very shortly after 9/11, we had this Sir Winston Churchill quote painted on the right wing root panel on my F-15: "History will be kind to me for I intend to write it..."

Hey buddy...Be safe in your worldly travels...Lotta sharks out there.

Last edited:
Prop:

Thats striking familiar that you were in Afghanistan because thats were I'm at right now. Being a member of FBBO sure helps to kep my sanity from the chaos that I see/experience.
My England friend asked "whats a Mopar?"...lol. So, I had to try and explain to him and to others. They can relate to the rust issues and you can imagine. I think that thats probably the main reason they are interested in what your updates are on your car because I've seen a few pictures of cars all rusty from other countries. Heck, I've seen some that had holes the size of soccer balls in it.

Take care Prop and all members. I hope to be home soon and to further my progress on my car as well.

Prop:

Thats striking familiar that you were in Afghanistan because thats were I'm at right now. Being a member of FBBO sure helps to kep my sanity from the chaos that I see/experience.
My England friend asked "whats a Mopar?"...lol. So, I had to try and explain to him and to others. They can relate to the rust issues and you can imagine. I think that thats probably the main reason they are interested in what your updates are on your car because I've seen a few pictures of cars all rusty from other countries. Heck, I've seen some that had holes the size of soccer balls in it.

Take care Prop and all members. I hope to be home soon and to further my progress on my car as well.

Thank you for your Service, rrTor, and thank you for you spreading the MoPar gospel throughout the world!

Auto Transport Service
Back