• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Family Tradition

Hey prop, if you want the gold metal one, aaemblems have them. They are on ebay or they have a website too.

Thanks for the tip mrbelv2. I appreciate it. The plastic one I recieved looked like something out of a gumball machine

I gotta tell you.....I've been re-reading this thread over the last couple of days and it's amazing how much I am picking up the 2nd time around. Amazing attention to detail. I think that I now have more respect for the work you did since I'm starting my restoration.

I gotta tell you.....I've been re-reading this thread over the last couple of days and it's amazing how much I am picking up the 2nd time around. Amazing attention to detail. I think that I now have more respect for the work you did since I'm starting my restoration.

Thanks Capt. You're right, gives a guy a whole different feeling of what it takes once you're actually doing it yourself. Lotta folks take for granted what it takes to actually do the work

So....Little time today to get stuff done. Project............Con-Solo

Console is pretty rough..New housing should be arriving early next week. Think I counted 11 different cracks in the old one.

e1-12.jpg

e2-10.jpg

Little product review on the spray on "aircraft grade" paint stripper from rustoleum. First time I ever tried it.

e3-7.jpg

Well, I got the old black trim paint off the console lids........After 4 scrape and wipe's!!! Overall, not impressed. The black paint was pretty thin and worn out and this stuff had trouble with it. Aircraft paint would laugh at this stuff. I won't be buying again. Anyways...black paint is off as well as the woodgrain inserts

e4-5.jpg

Masked off for the black..A little hard to tell from the pic, but the metal down in the valleyed down areas had open pore pits and pimpling spread about. Just covering it with a 1K satin trim paint would have looked like garbage. So, I sprayed a light layer of SEM texture before laying the paint down. Buried those flaws really well.

e5-4.jpg

Well, decided to go with a Carbon Fiber Overlay instead of the Woodgrain sticker. The carbon stuff isn't just a vinyl sticker, it's actually a fine adhesive backed layer of carbon fiber made by 3M. I got it from Detroit Muscle Technologies, and just like everything else I got from them in the past, I'm super happy with the product. Love the way it turned out.

e6-4.jpg

Little XXXX Super fine steel wool, console light housings look new again.

e7-2.jpg

Console Trim.......So, why is it so impotant to have a bench buffer when bringing these cars back?

e8.jpg

Skip the aftermarket aluminum stuff made in China...Put in the work and you'll have beautiful OEM american metal trim to put back on your car.

e9.jpg

More work to be done tomorrow!

Those pieces look great prop, i wanted to tell you its because of you, Skelitor, and this thread that i have now what i wished i would have had a long time ago that you mentioned, "bench buffer"...I used to do all this with a drill and pad, Ive already polished, buffed things out with mine that makes things so much better and easier! Anyone doing these cars should have one, a partial resto, such as mine or a total ground up its a must! Thanks bud...

that carbon fiber looks great along with the trim.Now i know who to send my console to for refurbishing.

Outstanding work Prop . Nice attention to detail. And your right about a bench buffer. I actually rigged mine with new grinder and a modified base so I can take it outside and place over the concrete wall. I can just stand there about waist high and buff away. You know what a mess that makes inside , Right??

really impressed with the carbon fibre look and the rest of the refinish on the console cover it looks really trick!

Wow...Thanks a bunch guys! I hear you on the mess 68Chicken. You got a great idea there. Kinda took a similar route. Mounted mine to a rolling workbench I built. Always wheel it over by the door....or the wife turns into Godzilla

Send it on over any time Roger....Just fuel for my adiction!

Didn't get at her today fella's...Had the fix a friend's wifes car. Found out today that our governor abolished the law banning the sale of R134A Freon to the public here in Wisconsin. Pretty suprised. Think they outlawed it about 10-12 years ago.

You show off.............make some of Us look like amatures......

WOW! Spent last Sunday morning going through Matt's build and this morning going through yours. Unbelievable!! what a transformation, great work Prop. I will use this thread along with Matt's as reference when i start cutting on my '64.

You show off.............make some of Us look like amatures......

Tell you what buddy, lotta other threads on here I sit back in Awe. I don't judge anyone's work against my own. I just look at the drive and determination they take to get there. Thank you though.

WOW! Spent last Sunday morning going through Matt's build and this morning going through yours. Unbelievable!! what a transformation, great work Prop. I will use this thread along with Matt's as reference when i start cutting on my '64.

Thanks for reading 2059 and thanks for the compliment. Matt's and many others are great reference for all. Truely a great library of how to's. Great to see someone taking advantage of it. Welcome and glad to have you here.

Auto Transport Service
Back